Need Help-My Son's Memorial Bday "party"

Decorating By Chef_Rinny Updated 25 Oct 2007 , 9:09am by messyeater

Chef_Rinny Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 10:32pm
post #1 of 10

Ok. I know its kind of odd but I am throwing a memorial get together in honor of my son's first birthday. We are going to have activities to help put together things such as information packets about CDH (which is what my son was born with) to send to hospitals and other things to help spread awareness. I also plan on hopefully getting the newspaper to write a story on it. Anyway, I want to do a cake-kind of a birthday cake but here is where I am having problems. I need ideas-I am at a loss. I want to do a tiered cake-something that really stands out. His nursery theme was zanzibar jungle animals-but I am also going to use that for his sister. Uggghhh-completely at a loss with this one. Please help me-any suggestions are welcome! I am really not all that sensitive or will take offense to much of anything so please don't be afraid to throw anything out there! Thanks in advance!

9 replies
messyeater Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 10:40pm
post #2 of 10

I'm so sorry, I can't even begin to imagine how difficult it must be for you. I think the memorial 'party' is a great idea.

I wondered about doing a teddy bear topper on a cloud cake. There are a couple of pictures in the gallery where the clouds are piped onto the cake in royal icing. I did this on one of my cakes (the teapot one in my photos) and it was really easy and turned out nicely. If you search clouds in the gallery I think the others will come up, if not let me know and I can post the link.

KHalstead Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 10:42pm
post #3 of 10

all I'm picturing is a little modeled figure of a little baby sleeping on his belly with his little butt up in the air (you know with the little p.j. with the trap door in the back LOL) on a cloud as a topper......would be so beautiful.....I don't know if you're religious or anything but I saw a gorgeous figuring of two hands almost like praying hands holding a little baby, so beautiful that would be kinda cool too!!

Chef_Rinny Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 11:31pm
post #4 of 10

Ok, I really like the whole cloud theme! So far I am thinking 3 tiers (small maybe 6-8-10) all in blue with clouds piped on...baby on a cloud(?) for a topper- hmmmm.... keep the ideas coming. I usually have no problems with creativeness but the well has run pretty dry with this. I am having a hard time picturing this cake. Any links to some pics or such out there?????

Thanks chocolatedrummer & KHalstead for getting something in my head going icon_smile.gif

doughdough Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 11:56pm
post #5 of 10

I like the cloud idea too...what about rainbows with the clouds (I'm imagining them made with color flow)...and for a topper idea you could do an angel of some kind.

I'll be on the lookout for any pics that might help!

ceshell Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 12:00am
post #6 of 10

If you do a little baby as a topper it might be sweet to give him wings. Here is another touching thread I read earlier this year, maybe some ideas in here
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-545713-memorial.html (this is what made me think of the wings...then I read your signature and realized it would be so fitting).

I think simplicity would be the most poignant and lovely, so the way you have distilled the PP's ideas sounds quite lovely.

My heart goes out to you.

loriann40 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 12:00am
post #7 of 10

I'm sorry about your loss - I was just looking at a cake with blue tiers and clouds for a baby shower. I hope this helps. Good luck!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_189713.html

Chuff Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 1:38am
post #8 of 10

I totally agree with the clouds.....a little sleeping baby on top...with wings and maybe a halo.....I'm tearing up! It's a really sweet idea. I don't know how you're even strong enough to do this, but my hats off to you!

Christie

Chef_Rinny Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:07am
post #9 of 10

Thanks everyone-ugghhh its not going to be easy but I have to keep myself busy and be productive or I will fall apart. I miss my son so much....please keep the ideas coming and any pics-I think i have a good idea of what im going to do but i need it to keep evolving till I reach that perfect cake icon_smile.gif

messyeater Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 9:09am
post #10 of 10

This was the cake I had in mind...
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_485083.html

I suggested a teddy bear because I wondered if you'd want to sculpt a baby or and angel...I was worried you might find it a bit upsetting, but it would be a beautiful cake if you felt you could do it.

Good luck with this, I hope it goes well :0)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%