Decorating By dessertchic Updated 25 Oct 2007 , 8:17pm by dessertchic

dessertchic Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 10:14pm
post #1 of 3

I am new to this site, but I have already learned so much by reading the existing posts. I made a strawberry cake the other day that called for strawberry buttercream icing. The ingredients were butter, powdered sugar and chopped fresh strawberries. After mixing, it appeared as though the icing was separating. It basically looked gritty. I was wondering what could have caused this? Butter not at room temp? Should I have drained more juice from the strawberries (I chopped them in food processor)?? It had no affect on the taste because everyone said that it was delicious. I would like to try it again but would like some tips first. Thanks!

2 replies
CuteCakeName Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:41am
post #2 of 3

I'm no expert, but I know that strawberries wil dissolve the sugar in buttercream if they are placed on top of it. I wonder if that may have something to do with it? Also, what were the measurements of the butter and sugar? I think a pound of sugar to a pound of butter is the most common ratio, but I usually make my buttercream with butter and shortening. And I don't think the liquid should have affected it too much, you can add just about any liquid to buttercream and it just thins it. Hope this helps!

dessertchic Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 8:17pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks for the response. I am also used to making buttercream icing with shortening as well. That is the reason I was not sure of the problem. I found the recipe online and below are the ingredients.
1 cup butter, softened
2 (16-ounce) packages powdered sugar, sifted
1 cup finely chopped fresh strawberries
Thanks for your help. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%