My Fondant Has No Elasticity!!

Decorating By darrahmomof3 Updated 25 Oct 2007 , 2:18pm by jsmith

darrahmomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darrahmomof3 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 9:36pm
post #1 of 5

I have worked all day trying to get this darn fondant to be the perfect red color and I finally got it!! Now I go to roll it out and it just wants to rip! icon_mad.gif I have made lots of fondant and never had it do this. IF I get it rolled out I go to pick it up and it rips in half, usually it just streaches out. What can I do to make it more elastic like??? icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif I CAN NOT make anymore, I think I will pull my hair out!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

4 replies
sgilmer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgilmer Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 10:41pm
post #2 of 5

Try kneading in some glycerine.

CheriN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CheriN Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 3:49am
post #3 of 5

I think that maybe the red coloring dried it out a bit... I would add more shortening... HTH

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 6:27am
post #4 of 5

That coloring can change the consistency a lot. Do you have any extra white fondant to knead in? That might help. Or, add a few drops of water and knead in. Glycerine might help too.

One thing I've learned is that the color darkens by the next day, so I don't worry about getting that perfect color anymore as I'm making it. The next day, it's always exactly where I want it to be.

Hope you get this worked out.

S.

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:18pm
post #5 of 5

I think that happens because the food colors are water based so it's like adding more water to the fondant. I haven't figured out a way to save fondant when that happens. If nothing else works you may need to buy the wilton fondant if that's all you can get in your area.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%