For Those Who Have To Label Products...

Business By Erdica Updated 25 Oct 2007 , 6:17pm by Erdica

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 8:02pm
post #1 of 6

I'm sorry if this has been asked before. I tried to do a search but it brought up some weird topics.

Anyway....for those whose states require that you label food ingredients on your cake boxes, what do you put?

Do you list seperately? Like cake ingredients are blah blah blah. Then frosting ingredients are blah blah blah. What do you do when you have different cake flavors since different things go into the cakes?

Anything you could share would be great.

Thanks!

5 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 8:27pm
post #2 of 6

It depends on the rules in your area. If you are required by the licensing entity to add ingredient labels, you may have to include every ingredient in or on the item. And that would include the ingredients within those ingredients. If you use chocolate chips, you would have to use the label from the chips to list those ingredients on your label, too.

Check with your health department.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 9:50pm
post #3 of 6

I do the cookie/cake ingredients separately from the frosting/icing ingredients:

Cake Ingredients: blah, blah, blah.
Frosting Ingredients: blah, blah, blah.

There is no specific rule about that, just that all ingredients have to be listed (I'm in Ohio) and some other things that have to be on the label. I would think this is the only way to do it since different cakes, cookies, icing, etc. have different ingredients. I cut and paste from a Word document the list that I need for a particular cake for that label. It would almost be impossible to make an ingredient list for every cake and frosting combination out there.

Did that make sense?

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 3:44pm
post #4 of 6

I have to label, but can be very general. I don't have to list every ingredient. Most importantly, I need to have my business name and contact info on the box.

emf7701 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emf7701 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 5:38pm
post #5 of 6

i have a generic label that i put on all my cakes. i list anything that might possibly be in the cake. when i label the cake, i circle the ingredients that are actually in it. does that make sense? i'm in OH too, so i have to label my stuff.

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 6:17pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks all for the feedback. You all are great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%