Pasteurized Whites For Cookie R.i.? Need To Do Today. Please

Baking By Jopalis Updated 25 Oct 2007 , 4:18pm by Jopalis

Jopalis Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 7:29pm
post #1 of 6

I bought the liquid kind of pasteurized whites called "All Whites". In container like Egg Beaters. I wanted to use it to make R.I. for cookies today. It says, however, on the containter that it cannot be used for merengues and will not whip up. The Martha Stewart recipe I was going to try says to whip the whites stiff first then add xxx sugar and lemon juice and beat another minute. Will it work?

Also how long will they last after they are opened?

Thanks so much!!! icon_confused.gif

5 replies
JoAnnB Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 8:30pm
post #2 of 6

We used it this weekend and it worked great.

Tona Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 8:26pm
post #3 of 6

I have also used them and had no problems

elizw Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 8:32pm
post #4 of 6

they whip up fine. i use them when making swiss meringue buttercream and they have to be whipped for that to work!

Peeverly Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 9:38pm
post #5 of 6

I have used them and they worked fine. The only thing I found was that they were perishable like using real egg whites (well, they are real but they are pasturized). What I mean is that if you use the merangue (spelling) powder you can leave out your royal icing. I found that you can only keep the ri used with the all whites for only a few days. It went bad on me and I could smell it. The carton was fine but what I had mixed up as royal went bad. Just my experience. I am trying to figure out if they are more cost effective than getting the merangue powder with my 40% off coupon at Michaels. Guess I'll have to do some math and figure it out.

Jopalis Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 4:18pm
post #6 of 6

I used it to make the R.I. I would not say they whipped up like stiff peaks. More like soft foamy. It worked ok for the icing even though Martha Stewart said whip egg whites to stiff peaks first... I don't see how it would work on a merengue icing though... Eliz W? I got the "All Whites" liquid that comes in container like Egg Beaters. I was going to make some merengue icing this weekend and it would be great to use it up but not sure it would whip enough.... Anyone? Eliz?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%