Ginger Bread House Questions???

Decorating By CakeMommyTX Updated 24 Oct 2007 , 8:40pm by krazykat_14

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 6:55pm
post #1 of 6

Ok so I've seen so many cute Gingerbread houses that I am finally going to try one this year. But having never done one I have a few questions.
1. Do I bake the gingerbread and then cut it into the pieces?
2. Do I use an actual gingerbread recipe or gingerbread cookie recipe?
3. If I make roofing and brick impressions in the dough before I bake it will they remain after baked?
4. This questions might be dumb, but is a gingerbread house meant to be eaten or is it purely for decoration?

Ok I think that covers it, thanx!

5 replies
bgallay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bgallay Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 7:13pm
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourstrulytx

Ok so I've seen so many cute Gingerbread houses that I am finally going to try one this year. But having never done one I have a few questions.
3. If I make roofing and brick impressions in the dough before I bake it will they remain after baked?
4. This questions might be dumb, but is a gingerbread house meant to be eaten or is it purely for decoration?

1. Cut the gingerbread into the shapes you want before baking.
2. I'll let someone else answer. I am pretty sure you use a different recipe - but I don't have one off hand.
3. Yes, make impressions before baking. yes, they will still show.
4. It's edible, but after being out for so long, it's just a decoration.

Good luck!!!

bgallay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bgallay Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 7:13pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourstrulytx

1. Cut the gingerbread into the shapes you want before baking.
2. I'll let someone else answer. I am pretty sure you use a different recipe - but I don't have one off hand.
3. Yes, make impressions before baking. yes, they will still show.
4. It's edible, but after being out for so long, it's just a decoration.

Good luck!!!

hhcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hhcakes Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 7:49pm
post #4 of 6

Definitely cut the pieces before baking and then because my gingerbread spreads a little I always cut it again after it's out of the oven. I use the same recipe for gingerbread people and houses. The difference here is the baking time. Gingerbread people are baked in half the time house pieces are baked. Impressions will stay after the gingerbread is baked. Press firmly but don't go through the dough. Generally the houses are eaten. Mine usually set out around 3 weeks before being consumed.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 8:20pm
post #5 of 6

If you want them eaten, use a softer recipe; if not, use something like this recipe. Leah- "
http://frankysattic.home.comcast.net/humidity.htm
Just don't let your kids eat it, they are liable to end up with a chipped tooth.
Mrs. Latour's Best Ever Gingerbread House (who is she? I don't know)
Humidity Proof Gingerbread
3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/8 cups sugar
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/4 cup honey
3/4 tsp each cinnamon, ground cloves, ginger
Sift all dry ingredients together and mix thoroughly. Combine eggs and honey. Add to dry ingredients. Mixture will be very stiff. If unable to mix, add 1 T. of honey. Do not add too much or the dough will be too sticky. Pat in to a ball.
Knead the dough on a floured surface to combine ingredients. Place dough in a bowl, cover tightly and let stand at room temperature a few hours or overnight, until the honey is absorbed. Preheat oven 325 F. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8" thickness. Dust pattern pieces with flour and lay them on the dough. Cut out with the point of a sharp knife.
Carefully transfer pieces with a spatula to a lightly greased cookie sheet. Baking time 12 minutes for the walls, doors and shutters. 15 minutes for the roof pieces or until gingerbread is lightly brown. Remove immediately from cookie sheet and lay flat on wire rack to cool.
Allow to cool thoroughly before decorating. I roll it out on the cookie sheet instead. This stuff is tough, and if you microwave it for 10 second intervals, it does soften. Try 10 seconds, if not soft enough, 10 more, etc. Also, if you use parchment, it makes it much easier to transfer.
That's what it's all about, sharing. Valarie"
The forum...
http://www.network54.com/Forum/227096/

krazykat_14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazykat_14 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 8:40pm
post #6 of 6

Ok, #1 has been covered...

#2-use a gingerbread cookie recipe, regular gingerbread is more like a cake-won't hold up a roof very well... unless you use a bundt pan with the neato decorations to them, I got one for my cousin's wedding that looks like a honeymoon cottage! Her husband wanted it so he could make a house this year!

#3-covered...

#4- Yes, you can eat them, I made one last year that my son had to promise to eat after Christmas because I didn't know where or how to store it. Besides, I now have an excuse to make another one this year. It was REALLY hard, but I find gingerbread cookies pretty crunchy to start with. Good excuse to curl up with a big glass of milk and a gingerbread house! I also just finished one with sugar cookies but have to wait until after Halloween to eat it. BTW, for something I know I might eat (which is everything!), I use merinque powder for the RI instead of egg whites, I'm just paranoid that way...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%