Airbrush Users???

Decorating By jdhelbling Updated 28 Oct 2007 , 11:46am by wendydou

jdhelbling Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 5:25pm
post #1 of 7

I am considering buying an airbrush and wanted to hear from people who have used them about whether it's worth it and how difficult or easy to use they are. Also, I would love to hear what people think about the different brands. I just started doing this as a hobby so I don't want to spend a ton of money but I also don't want a crappy one. Any help is appreciated!

6 replies
leily Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 5:27pm
post #2 of 7

I am still doing research on what airbrush to buy, but I highly suggest doing a search of the forums for "Air brush" and "Air brush Brand" there are a lot of topics in the forums discussing the different ones and what is a good way to practice and which one to get based off of what type of decorating and how often you plan on using it.

JoAnnB Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 5:39pm
post #3 of 7

there are dozens of threads for the same question.

If you search airbrush and limit to titles you will find many.

here is one:

shelbycompany Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 7:30pm
post #4 of 7

I got mine from airbrush city. I haven't used it a whole lot but I love it so far. I got the kit 144-GD100 airbrushing starter kit.

It is VERY easy to use thumbs_up.gif

okred Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 8:25pm
post #5 of 7

Airbrushing is a lot easier than I thought it would be. Bought mine at hobby lobby with 40% off coupon. I have used it to spray fondant, buttercream and fondant decorations before putting them on the cake. I think the colors are darker.

Worth every penny!!!

brea1026 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 5:53am
post #6 of 7

I got mine for my first wedding cake I did (300 servings ofbright orange cake!!!) I got it from for $160 total w/ shipping (to az). I LOVE mine! It is thegravity feed one and is totally easy to use. I think it saves so much time!

The only thing I would say is that if you use satin ice- watch out becuse that stuff cracks easily and will leave white streak i it does crack. I haven't had a single problem using it on MMF though.

HTH! =)

wendydou Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 11:46am
post #7 of 7

how do you learn to airbrush?? I mean, are you guys artists before cake decorating so it's a natural ability to airbrush nicely or can anyone learn to do it?? I"m no artist! but I like the look - do they teach classes anywhere???

Quote by @%username% on %date%