Making My First Birthday Cake

Decorating By clouks Updated 24 Oct 2007 , 4:30pm by revel

clouks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clouks Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 2

Ok, so I am making my very first birthday cake this weekend and I am trying to plan it all out in my head. I already know the birthday "boy" (he is turning 50) wants a double layer round cake so I am going to do that and also I am putting a hill on the top of it. So I have a few questions.

First: I have made round cakes before, I have one 8" pan that I use. But I have a problem with them rising up out of the pan and then I have this risen top that I have to cut off, and I never can get it level. Plus, when I put the second one on top, it doesnt fit on there perfectly and when I try to trim around the edges so that nothing is hanging over, I get holes in the cake where the cake pulls away with the knife. How do I get them to be the same size even though I am using the same exact pan?

Second: When I ice the cake....there are always a bunch of cake crumbs in the icing. They pull away from the cake (since I had to cut some of it off) and end up showing through the icing. How do I elminate that?

Third: I can never get my cakes to come out of the pan without sticking at least a little if not a lot. Then they end up being in pieces when I finally do get them out of the pan. What am I doing wrong?

And lastly.....lol: How long should I bake my "hill" to make sure it is done all the way through, but not over done? It is one of those pans with the four molds that can be used for hills, or boobs, or something like that. I hoep someone knows what I am talking about.

If there is a post somewhere about this already I'll gladly go there if someone can direct me in the right place. I am still pretty new here and am super new to cake decorating. Thanks in advance for you time and help!!!

Casey

1 reply
revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 4:30pm
post #2 of 2

Well clouks welcome to CC! I can't help you with all your questions, but a few i can answer.

To stop the cakes from sticking i just use Pam non-stick spray. You can also use shortening and flour
When you ice the cake Do a crumb coat. Take out enough of the icing to do a thin coat on your cake.Thin it alittle so it goes on really easy. Let that harden then cover yoyr cake with the rest of the icing that has not been thinned.
I have a heck of a time leveling my cakes so i'll leave the rest to the pros...lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%