How Many Layers Of What Size...

Decorating By imagine76 Updated 24 Oct 2007 , 3:46pm by phoohbear

imagine76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagine76 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 2:30pm
post #1 of 2

to make a wedding cake to feed 150. It's my first paying wedding cake gig and it's already paid for for 150. a 2 layer 6, 8, 10, & 12 =130 servings. an 8, 12, & 16 =180. i'm in a quandry. i've seen this asked before and now i'm in the same spot. should i call the bride and offer an 8 inch little cake to match on the side or a grooms cake? that would =154. i don't wanna take a loss but i don't want mis-matched layers etc.

help me out cake veterans and math people (which i am certainly not!)

1 reply
phoohbear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoohbear Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 3:46pm
post #2 of 2

Does the bride plan on saving the top tier? That makes a big diffrence when planning serving counts. The only thing I can come up with is 8-12-16 that would give you 156 without the top tier and 181 with it. You might talk it over with the bride and see what kind of silhouette she prefers. Most people like the look of 4 in diffrence between the layers, when I have shown brides pic of cake that are only 2 in they didn't like them. And make sure you charge for the extra servings not just how many they want. You can try to get as close as possible but they have to pay for the extra. Just think if you charge $3 a serving but someone wants a birthday cake for 3 people you are not going to charge them $9, you are going to make a cake for 10-12 and charge them for the full $30.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%