Brown Fondant Disaster! Help Needed

Decorating By NolansMom Updated 24 Oct 2007 , 8:35pm by tonedna

NolansMom Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 2:05pm
post #1 of 11

Hey everyone. So I tried to make a large batch of chocolate brown MMF. I started off adding a lot of Wilton brown and still couldn't get it dark enough. So... I decided to ad some cocoa powder. That helped the colour. I didn't really want it chocolate flavored, but hey what are you gonna do??

Well, then I started to add the powdered sugar, and started kneading. I don't know what the heck the problem is with me and dark colours, but it always goes crumbly. I hope my pictures show this well. Usually my MMF has really nice consistancy, and is almost elastic, and very forgiving. NOT THIS STUFF. It just pulls apart and has no stretch to it at all.

What am I doing wrong???
I don't know if it needs more/less powdered sugar?
Should I just use cocoa, and no colour?
More Crisco?
I have no clue, I always run into this problem with black, but now brown!!
Shoud I just give up and airbruch the darn thing??

I would really like it NOT to taste chocolatey. Any tips are welcome PLEASE!! This is for my first wedding cake, and it has to be perfect (well close anyways)

10 replies
darrahmomof3 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 3:59pm
post #2 of 11

I think maybe too much powdered sugar. They only way I can get a good brown is with cocoa too. Try needing in some Crisco. Hope it helps. Sorry could not be more help.

Tarabell Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 4:21pm
post #3 of 11

That happened to me when I tried the chocolate MMF too. I think the cocoa powder really changes things. I want to try adding melted chocolate next time. I just kept adding more Crisco and finally got it so it would roll out, but it was far from perfect. Good luck!

Wendoger Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 4:19pm
post #4 of 11

...this has happened to me a few times....only when I try to achieve dark I just started buying the dark colors....
I never could really salvage mine enough to cover a cake, I could only use it for accents....
Add lots of crisco while heating it up in the micro....maybe yours is still salvageable!

NolansMom Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 7:53pm
post #5 of 11

bumpity bump bump

would some water help??

Cyndi1207 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 7:58pm
post #6 of 11

Try sticking it in the Microwave for a few seconds and then using crisco to knead it. This always happens with black for me.

okred Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 8:15pm
post #7 of 11

I know this won't help you right now but I fought with this also so I bought an airbrush. OH MY!! why did I wait so long? and airbrushing is sooooo easy. I just bought one from hobby lobby with my 40% off coupon, so it wasn't very much. I did a black cake this past week for DH's 50th. saved a lot of time.

BlakesCakes Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 8:07pm
post #8 of 11

Adding a lot of cocoa powder will significantly change the consistency of any fondant, especially if the cocoa powder is "dutch(ed)" because that type is very alkaline and therefore, very drying. You can counteract that, to some degree, by adding more crisco and more glycerine.

The suggestion about doing it with melted chocolate is probably the best way to retain a more flexible fondant.

All in all, I think the best way to get very dark colors in homemade fondant is to use powdered colors added to the water when making the fondant--that won't change the consistency at all. Second best is to add the gel/paste color to the water.

tonedna Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 8:20pm
post #9 of 11

I wouldn't add the cocoa..Is asking for trouble i just keep adding color until is brown...i never had trouble with this..But there is always chocolate fondant..I never had to do it with chocolate though.. icon_confused.gif

christeena Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 8:23pm
post #10 of 11

I'm not sure why you don't want a chocolate flavored fondant but ever since I discovered Satin Ice Dark Chocolate fondant there is no going back to try and get those dark colors myself and the best part is it taste delicious (if you like chocolate!!). When I want black I just knead it into the dark chocolate.

tonedna Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 8:35pm
post #11 of 11

Only for the fact that is chocolate..I only use chocolate in the cakes if someone wants chocolate in their cakes..But if is a flavor that doesn't have chocolate in it it disrupts a little the aroma of tha cake cause it does smell like chocolate!..

Quote by @%username% on %date%