Onion Smell

Decorating By TheCakerator Updated 24 Oct 2007 , 6:03pm by TheCakerator

TheCakerator Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 1:52pm
post #1 of 15

I posted this in the lounge area as well, but thought someone here might know too ... is there any trade secret to getting an onion smell out of your house? My dh cut one up this morning for a pot of chili and that is alllllll I can smell .. its too cold to open up any windows and I have my candles burning but its still so strong!

14 replies
Melan Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 1:58pm
post #2 of 15

My hubby made us bbq on Sunday and our house smelled like it for 2 days! So I understand your situation! I just had to air out the house and I turned off the air conditioner but kept the fan still running. You may just have to suffer through the coldness b/c you'll have a hard time covering up that odor. You could try leaving out a few containers of baking soda or white vinegar to help absorb the smell but I think your best bed would be to open the windows and put on a jacket. Good luck!

Mandica12182 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 1:59pm
post #3 of 15

I've heard that lemon or citrus oils will take the smell of onion and garlic off of your hands or hard surfaces....but, not sure about air!! But, they say to rub the rind/zest part on your hands to remove the smell.

scgriffiths Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 1:57pm
post #4 of 15

Try putting a capful of tea tree oil in a cup of water and placing that in a spray bottle to spray around the house. Tea tree doesn't just cover up smells, it actually absorbs them. It would be interesting to see whether it works on onion, though!!!

TheCakerator Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 2:08pm
post #5 of 15

thanks for the replies everyone ... do you know where to find tea tree oil at?

Memie Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 2:09pm
post #6 of 15

I like to put cinnamon and cloves in a pot of water, bring it to a boil and then let it simmer on the stove. Makes it smell like you're baking something.

scgriffiths Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 2:04pm
post #7 of 15

You can get tea tree oil at a chemist or health shop.

TheCakerator Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 2:39pm
post #8 of 15

memie that does sound nice ... especially on such a cold day! I like to burn a "linen" scented candle .. that way it smells like Ive been doing laundry all day! LOL

Memie Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 3:02pm
post #9 of 15

I LOVE the linen scented candles. I also like the linen scented gel air fresheners. I keep one in my truck and one in all my closets.

TheCakerator Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 3:07pm
post #10 of 15

hmmm .. not sure what you mean by gel air freshner? But I would be more then willing to go out looking for them if you knew where you purchased them?

tatetart Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 3:19pm
post #11 of 15

I rub lemon over my kitchen counters, then wipe it off with a wet cloth. Then grind the peel through the disposal.
Usually gets rid of it.

Memie Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 3:28pm
post #12 of 15

I buy them from my grandson's school fundraiser. But they're made by Yankee Candle and I have bought them from Linens and Things.

wgoat5 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 4:31pm
post #13 of 15

I put lemon in my disposal also icon_biggrin.gif

Also if you rub the lemon on granite it will soak the smell up icon_smile.gif

jmt1714 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 5:10pm
post #14 of 15

even if it is cold, open enough windows to create a cross ventilation, turn off the heat, turn on the central fan, and go out for 2 hours. when you get back reverse everything and cuddle up for a few hours until it all warms up. I've done that after a house party in the middle of winter just to air the place out and it seems to work.

TheCakerator Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 6:03pm
post #15 of 15

thanks everyone .. since my dhs car is in the shop he is using mine this week which leaves me stranded here at home .. I finally decided to crack my patio door and my office window which will give me a cross ventilation ... I dont have granite countertops just cheap formica? ones .. anyways with the windows open the smell seems to be lifting a little .. thanks for the replies everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%