Help With Making Gumpaste Flower

Decorating By Iloveweddings Updated 24 Oct 2007 , 11:34am by jibbies

Iloveweddings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iloveweddings Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 6:53am
post #1 of 3

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for video or photo step by step how to make calla lilies.
I found one here on CC and Wilton which is eactly the same. I find it of little help. There is probably a cut out for making calla lilies but I don't know what it is. Help with this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2 replies
annacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annacakes Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 11:05am
post #2 of 3

I have a metal cutter which I bought years ago in Toronto at McCalls. It is
very good and of the proper size and shape. It looks like an exaggerated Philodendron leaf. Flat across the base, wide at the centre, tapering out to a nice point at the end.

There is a cutter in the Wilton Gum Paste Flowers kit which is meant for the Tulip Leaf. This can be used also, but you need to stretch the G.Paste a little after cutting. By this I mean working on it with the ball tool to increase the size a bit. Then I cut the end off it (the not so graceful end) and wrap the petal around the (pre-made) base.

Base is done ahead. Small piece (buttercup yellow) of g.paste rolled into tiny sausage shape. Put a tiny hook on the end of a 6" piece of floral stem wire and insert it into "sausage". Paint the sausage with gum glue (or clear vanilla) and dip in corn meal. Let dry a day or two. HTH. I do not have pics. to help you. Sorry.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 11:34am
post #3 of 3

I just took a gumpaste flower making class. We made Calla Lillies. Here's how we did it.
use # 24 or #26 prewrapped florist wire, in green, make a small hook at the end and pinch, dip that end in vanilla.
For the center roll a piece of yellow about 3/4 inch long, then insert the hooked end of the wire into it from the bottom, take a piece of tulle/netting and wrap around it and squeeze the netting until some extrudes take off net and lay aside.
Roll out gumpaste a little thicker than normal. Take the largest rose petal cutter and cut out, lay the cut out piece on a crisco greased surface and use the small rolling pin to enlarge starting in the center roll outward until it is about doubled in size, use ball end to soften the edges, don't ruffle them.
Lay the yellow center in the middle of the piece, wide end at the base pointed end out, wrap one side around and then come back and wrap the other side around, try to make sure point is in the middle, it helps if you lightly brush each side of the petal with the same vanilla you used on the hook, to dry lay it hanging over the side of the styrofoam block, not upside down just the flower itself hanging over this helps the petal maintain its curve.

jibbies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%