My Mixer Got Burned!!!!

Decorating By Adrianita Updated 26 Oct 2007 , 1:31am by Adrianita

Adrianita Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 2:21am
post #1 of 6

Hi CCers:

I was making some Royal icing and my cheap little mixer started smoking and the motor got burned.

Do you have any suggestions for a good quality-not so expensive mixer?

I don't own a business, I decorate just for fun...I make three to four cakes a months.

All suggestions welcome.

5 replies
auntmamie Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 3:31am
post #2 of 6

WalMart sells two models of sunbeam mixers - one is $50, comes with one red glass bowl (which is what I have) and has regular beaters (you know, the kind from a hand mixer). The other is $100, comes with two silver bowls, and has several types of beaters. I make about the same amount of cakes that you do, and mine is holding up just fine.

lvablkmn Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 3:46am
post #3 of 6

I thought mine was going to burn also! It got really really hot & I finally just turned it off. If you want just a hand mixer - I saw a 7 speed in Walgreens for $20.

Melan Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 1:49pm
post #4 of 6

I did my last cake with a hand mixer -and it was not fun! I am new to doing cakes so I didn't want to jump on in and spend a bunch on a stand mixer. I went through 3 hand mixers for one cake -no kidding! I did find at Wal mart a stand mixer, well, basically a hand mixer with a stand and 4qt stainless steel bowl. It was on $20 so I bought it and it is great so far! Not bad price either! It's definately not a kitchen aid but most definately better than just a hand mixer!

Cakerer Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 12:08am
post #5 of 6

I have a Cooks mixer from JCPenney. Although you will spend $120 or so on it, it's 700 watts and has been going strong for me. Fact is, you can spend more than that on a KA at Walmart (I think they are $149 @ WM) and only get 300 watts. Check out their website if you are interested. If you sign up to get their notices, they usually send a free shipping coupon. Good luck!

Correction: according to jcpenney.com, they are $149.

Adrianita Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 1:31am
post #6 of 6

Thanks for your input.
My sweet lovely boyfriend surprised me with a nice mixer (an early b-day present).

Isn't he sweet????!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%