Help!!! My Sister Nominated Me To Make Her Wedding Cake!!!!

Decorating By jacobsmommy Updated 24 Oct 2007 , 12:57pm by step0nmi

jacobsmommy Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 1:56am
post #1 of 13

My sister is getting married April 5th (so i have some time). I have only made basic birthday cakes. She is doing a 5 layered cake (not sure all the "cake talk") there is going to be a 14', 12', 10', 8' and 6', all 2' thick. The 8 ' is not going to be cake, it will ahve flowers on it. I hope im not confusing anyone. My question is, when i make the buttercream frosting, it always turns out WAY to thin, not matter now much powdered sugar i add. So i need to master my buttercream frosting. Also, how early can i make this cake? I am also the maid of honor, so i need time to get everything done. I know i am taking on a very big roll in this wedding and i need everything to be perfect. We are going to make a few trial cakes before hand so any advice is helpful. Also, what is the best kind of cake mix to use? If anyone can help me, please do so!!!!

12 replies
step0nmi Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 2:11am
post #2 of 13

It sounds like she wants 5 teirs but to be 2" thick for each layer!

I defintely recommend some practice if you have never done a stacked cake. there is an article on CC to learn how to properly construct you cake. check into that.

You can always make your layers 2 or even 1 week ahead of time and wrap them in platic and then foil wrap and freeze them. You can even premake your frosting about 1 week ahead and refridgerate in an airtight container.
I recommend using the crusting butter cream here on CC. It uses 75% shortening and 25% butter which still lets you frost your cake nicely and is very yummy! It sounds like you are using all butter frosting because if you keep adding powdered sugar it will just keep getting sweeter and not change the consistency. you need the shortening to make it stiffer.
If you just keep asking questions you will know all you need to in time! We are all here to help!
Sounds like your sister is very proud and has faith in your cake decorating skills!
I think you'll be fine!

jibbies Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 2:11am
post #3 of 13

Welcome to CC jacobsmommy
Even though you are nervous doesn't it make you feel good that someone wants you to do their wedding cake!
Relax, you have plenty of time. Not only that you have all of us.
Did your sister say what shape she wants? Round, square? Most wedding cakes have tiers consisting of 2 two inch high layers for a total of 4 inches for each tier. If you look in the 2008 Wilton Book there is an oval cake that the tiers are just 2 inches high each, it cuts down on the number of servings.
If you have any questions post or pm one of us, we'll be glad to help.

jibbies

chrissy410 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 2:20am
post #5 of 13

you have lots of time to practice which is great! I am sort of in the same boat. I've never made a wedding cake before and I have been asked to do one in June. I have made two stacked cakes before and its not too bad. I like the buttercream dream recipe and I always use duncan hines. Good luck!

jacobsmommy Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 2:25am
post #6 of 13

step0nmi- We are doing it 5 tiers, 4" each. For your shortning do you use crisco? and is there any certian kind of butter to use? A girl i know told me i needed to add more powdered sugar!!! That explains why it doesnt work right. I usually end up paying an arm for a tub from the store. Well im getting excited to start practicing. Thanks for your relpys......

post #7 of 13

step0nmi- We are doing it 5 tiers, 4" each. For your shortning do you use crisco? and is there any certian kind of butter to use? A girl i know told me i needed to add more powdered sugar!!! That explains why it doesnt work right. I usually end up paying an arm for a tub from the store. Well im getting excited to start practicing. Thanks for your relpys......

post #8 of 13

eriksmom Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 2:33am
post #9 of 13

Another tip, well, just something i tried and works much better than my old way - if you have a kitchen aid mixer, always use the paddle, not the whisk! i love the consistency of my frosting since i started using the paddle.

DelightsByE Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 2:26am
post #10 of 13

All I can tell you is - jump in with both feet and a big smile on your face. And you've come to the right place - we've all been in this boat once! You'll do just fine! thumbs_up.gif

estherhead Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 2:37am
post #11 of 13

I think your best plan is to post a picture on here and let all the lovely people tell you exactly how to do every little thing. Also, make a cake for every special occasion between now & then and finally, bake your cakes and freeze them (you can get info on that on here) and have your buttercream (you could buy it from Sam's Club) & every single thing possible made ahead of time so the week of the wedding you'll be able to focus on family and not just the cake.

You can do it!

jacobsmommy Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 2:36am
post #12 of 13

Another question, I just read over how to stack a cake. I have the plates to go between each layer, do i still need to put dowl rods threw them? and also how to you cut the cake around the rods???

step0nmi Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 12:57pm
post #13 of 13

If you have the plates you are still going to need dowels. You want the tiers to be supported by the dowels and not touching the cake. If it's touching the cake it might buckle under pressure.
OH! what kind of plates? I always just use a cardboard separator and use wood dowels to hold up the next teir?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%