Use Fondant On An Odd Shaped Cake

Decorating By nickollette Updated 24 Oct 2007 , 3:39am by all4cake

nickollette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickollette Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 1:24am
post #1 of 4

I am making a rocket cake for this upcoming weekend. It has been requested to use fondant. I have only worked with fonadant once, and that was for my son's defected lightning mc.queen birthday cake. That wasn't too hard to do since it wasn't too weird of a shape. this cake is going to have a few points and be tall, laying flat. I'm not sure if fondant is the route i want to go with not having too much experience with it, or if its even a good idea in general. any suggestions?

3 replies
stacey000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacey000 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 3:16am
post #2 of 4

Funny...we have a a similar situation. I am also a newbie who has only used fondant once...and it was Lightning Mcqueen. But I thought that was a weird and difficult shape! lol:

And I am also preparing to make an odd shaped cake, tall and narrow, Diego's Rescue Pack (a backpack basically). I just asked a similar question yesterday. You can check out my thread...but there is only one response so far. Maybe it would be of some help to you.

I'll be watching this thread as well. Good luck to you!

4them Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4them Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 3:31am
post #3 of 4

i did a rocket cake a couple of weeks back(in my pics) and i used fondant it did well i don't think i would have been able to do it in anything else. you maybe able to do some of the areas in sections.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 3:39am
post #4 of 4

tall and laying flat?

could you cover them in smaller sections?

Say, if it were going to be upright with a conical top, do that section separately and disguise the seam with a metal looking band of fondant.

or cover the cylindrical portion with fondant and make the cone and fins out of gumpaste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%