"mobile" Decorator - Legal??

Business By nicolesplace Updated 24 Oct 2007 , 11:22pm by RobzC8kz

nicolesplace Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 12:30am
post #1 of 6

I was hoping to open a shop/decorating business out of a local kitchen but - oops - baby # 3 decided to surprise us! I am unable to commit to baking & decorating with the new addition due in a little over 3 weeks so I was thinking....

Do you think it would be legal to go to people's houses & "help" them to decorate their own cakes.

My idea was to have a customer contact me, decide together on a design & size of cake. They would bake the cake(s) themself (no need for a certified kitchen) & buy icing ingredients. I would then show up with my supplies, assist with making the icing & tutor them on how to decorate the cake.

What are your thoughts/comments/ideas?

Do you think it is a viable business idea that I should consider?

Thank you for reading/responding! Even negative thoughts are appreciated.

5 replies
kelleym Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 12:40am
post #2 of 6

Well, you would have to check with your local authorities, but to me it sounds like this would be more of a teaching/tutoring business - the closest to food prep it would be would be kind of like a personal chef, where you go to someone's house and cook their meals. I think it sounds really interesting and I hope you'll follow up here as your plans progress.

keriskreations Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 12:43am
post #3 of 6

Well, first and foremost - congrats on your new addition!

I think your idea is neat - however, maybe you need to think about the time frame involved, and how much time are you willing to put in to "teaching" someone to decorate a cake. Most of us have spent hours learning things, and I don't know about you, but I don't think I could show someone how to do this type of stuff in a couple of hours. I guess it would just depend on what they and you are looking for out of the experience. It could be a really neat idea. I'd also wonder how it would be to be in their kitchen - not everyone keeps the same type of house, and if you get messy, it's someone else's kitchen you are doing it in. Just a lot of different angles to think about. These are just my opinions, and maybe I don't "play well with others". LOL

costumeczar Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 12:47am
post #4 of 6

This is a good idea for a VERY part-time business, but I don't think that you'll get a whole lot of people who want to bake the cakes themselves, let alone decorate it themselves. You're essentially thinking of doing a tutoring business, so you'd have a small customer base to work with---Just those people who want to decorate cakes themselves. How much do you want to charge them for you to come to their house and teach them how to decorate the cake? You'd have to think about whether you'd be making enough money to make it worth your time. You might do better to contact any local culinary schools or craft stores to see if they need instructors. You could also do little kids' birthday parties, where you go to people's houses and let the kids decorate their own cakes. As long as you're not making the cakes that should be fine. I'd check with the health department, or whoever it is that licenses businesses, though. They might have limits on what you can bring into people's houses (if they provide everything like you mention above that eliminates that problem.) If you bring in store-bought cupcakes or something and let the kids decorate them with store-bought icing that could work, but that could get expensive. I don't know many people who'd be willing to provide everything, then also pay someone else to teach them how to do the work, though. Most people want to have someone else do it all, and not pay enough for it!

costumeczar Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 12:47am
post #5 of 6

This is a good idea for a VERY part-time business, but I don't think that you'll get a whole lot of people who want to bake the cakes themselves, let alone decorate it themselves. You're essentially thinking of doing a tutoring business, so you'd have a small customer base to work with---Just those people who want to decorate cakes themselves. How much do you want to charge them for you to come to their house and teach them how to decorate the cake? You'd have to think about whether you'd be making enough money to make it worth your time. You might do better to contact any local culinary schools or craft stores to see if they need instructors. You could also do little kids' birthday parties, where you go to people's houses and let the kids decorate their own cakes. As long as you're not making the cakes that should be fine. I'd check with the health department, or whoever it is that licenses businesses, though. They might have limits on what you can bring into people's houses (if they provide everything like you mention above that eliminates that problem.) If you bring in store-bought cupcakes or something and let the kids decorate them with store-bought icing that could work, but that could get expensive. I don't know many people who'd be willing to provide everything, then also pay someone else to teach them how to do the work, though. Most people want to have someone else do it all, and not pay enough for it!

RobzC8kz Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 11:22pm
post #6 of 6

It's a very interesting idea, but I can't imagine someone wanting the baker coming into their home and making a mess out their kitchen just to get the cake they want. Buying all of the ingredients, baking the cake themselves, then letting you use their kitchen sounds like so much more trouble then ordering a cake and having it delivered.

I do like Costumczar's idea of bringing in cupcakes and letting kids decorate their own. That could be a very lucrative kid's party idea! I can't think of kid in the world who wouldn't love piling on the icing and sprinkles of their own cupcake!! Heck...if clowns can come in and make balloon animals, why couldn't you come in and have the kids decorate their own cupcakes??

You could try putting out that idea and see if get any responses to it. If you're only trying to do it part time and pick up a few bucks on the weekends, it might be worth it!

Good luck!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%