Would You Recommend This Mixer?

Decorating By love2makecakes Updated 24 Oct 2007 , 4:18am by kathrynscakesncookies

love2makecakes Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 9:38pm
post #1 of 9

Stainless Gray Stand Mixer (7-qt.) by Viking

I am in the process of setting up a home-based kitchen. I currently just use my 4.5 quart KA. Have had no problems with it other than the limited capacity. (now I have never tried fondant or bread dough in it though)

I would love to find a mixer that I can make MMF in and more than 2 batches of BC at a time in. Now I would really like to buy a Hobart 12-20 quart, but lets be realistic that I need to recoupe some of my cost for what I have already purchased before I go hog wild on appliances! The Hobarts are so expensive and all used ones I have found are really ancient.

I really just need to find something that I can use in the mean time that is more heavy duty then my current KA, but someday I want to step up to a Hobart and do not want to spend a terribly crazy amount now (if I do, I may as well get the Hobart). Until then, do you think it is worth it to me to purchase one of these or possibly just get the KA Pro 600 and use 2 mixers?

Sorry for the long winded question!

8 replies
DianeLM Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 9:43pm
post #2 of 9

I've had that mixer for a couple of years and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!! I mix up 11 pounds of icing at a time.

Because the bowl is tapered at the bottom, you can mix small batches easily without the ingredients spreading out all over the place.

I store mine under a cabinet, but the head doesn't clear when lifted. That's where the wheels come in so handy! I just roll it out for use. then roll it back under the cabinet.

It complained a little when I did a double batch of NFSC, but only because the bowl wasn't big enough. The motor was just fine.

mcalhoun Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 11:28pm
post #3 of 9

I had planned on getting that one until I bought sugarshacks dvd and now I think I will just keep using my Artisan - I don't know if it is ok to tell why she says that or not, so I will just leave it at this

terrig007 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 1:04am
post #4 of 9

Hate to be nosey but how much does one of those Vikings cost? I've been looking at getting the 7 quart Cuisinart mixer. I have a KA right now, it's the 300 watt one my husband got me for my first birthday as his wife. I had asked for it, but people still gave him the business about getting me an appliance on my birthday.

love2makecakes Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 3:06am
post #5 of 9

The one I looked at costs $545 with free shipping and free blender accessory.

kelleym Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 3:57am
post #6 of 9

I have this mixer (in white) and I have to say the quality is lacking compared to the KA. It rattles and groans at low speeds with buttercream before I put the liquid in (something my 4.5 quart KA NEVER does). For $500+ I now wish I'd invested in a 6 qt KA.

love2makecakes Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 3:59am
post #7 of 9

Opps... $524 not $545.

love2makecakes Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 4:13am
post #8 of 9

kellym - Do you use your mixer for fondant? The struggle I have with my 4.5 quart KA is that I want to make more batches at once, not sure if the 6 quart KA will be much different to make it worth buying another one.

I have this posted on another forum too, not sure how much people look in other sections...

kathrynscakesncookies Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 4:18am
post #9 of 9

I have a KA pro 600! I love it! I broke a plastic piece in my KA 4.5 trying to make fondant! so I won't try it if I were you! I can make 3 double batches of wilton BC recipe in my 6qt. hope this info helps! The recipe satated is just for a reference guide!

Quote by @%username% on %date%