Shimmer White Fondant

Decorating By ctackett Updated 24 Oct 2007 , 7:54pm by aswartzw

ctackett Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 8:03pm
post #1 of 5

OK all you pros!!! What is this and how do I make it? Shimmer dust?

4 replies
aswartzw Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 8:09pm
post #2 of 5

You buy it. Unless I'm missing what you're really asking, which I guess I could be.

Sugarflowers Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 5

Mixing any luster dust or shimmer dust into fondant will not make the fondant sparkle. The only way to get the fondant to shine or sparkle is to brush it on dry, which is expensive, time consuming, and usually uneven, or to air brush it onto the cake when it is mixed with grain alcohol.

Luster dust is considered non-toxic and is not considered a health hazard. Shimmer dust is non-edible and should ONLY be used for decorations that are going to be removed from the cake. I was told that shimmer dust is made of plastic flecks, but I don't know this for a fact.

The rule of thumb seems to be if it dissolves in water or other liquid, it is fine to use and is non-toxic. If it doesn't mix, it is inedible, so use very sparingly.

HTH

Michele

ctackett Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 8:26pm
post #4 of 5

We are having a congrats bonfire for a couple that are getting married in Houston Tx in Dec. Alot of the family on the grooms side will not be able to go to tx to attend the ceremony so I am going to make a smaller version of her cake and it is being covered in Shimmer White Fondant?

aswartzw Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 7:54pm
post #5 of 5

Silly me. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif For some reason, I thought you were asking what luster dust was! icon_redface.gif I didn't really understand what you wanted. I would think if you painted it on that it would give you a shimmery look. Just enough for it to reflect the light or something like that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%