Whould You Recommend This Mixer?

Business By love2makecakes Updated 24 Oct 2007 , 6:30am by spring55

love2makecakes Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 7:04pm
post #1 of 6

Stainless Gray Stand Mixer (7-qt.) by Viking

I am in the process of setting up a home-based kitchen. I currently just use my 4.5 quart KA. Have had no problems with it other than the limited capacity. (now I have never tried fondant or bread dough in it though)

I would love to find a mixer that I can make MMF in and more than 2 batches of BC at a time in. Now I would really like to buy a Hobart 12-20 quart, but lets be realistic that I need to recoupe some of my cost for what I have already purchased before I go hog wild on appliances! The Hobarts are so expensive and all used ones I have found are really ancient.

I really just need to find something that I can use in the mean time that is more heavy duty then my current KA, but someday I want to step up to a Hobart and do not want to spend a terribly crazy amount now (if I do, I may as well get the Hobart). Until then, do you think it is worth it to me to purchase one of these or possibly just get the KA Pro 600 and use 2 mixers?

Sorry for the long winded question!
LL

5 replies
elizw Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 7:54pm
post #2 of 6

i got a delonghi 7 quart mixer about 6 months ago. it is wonderful!!! i love it!!! i spent some time online checking out ka, viking and delonghi. i searched for customer reviews and leaned towards the delonghi. later my husband surprised me with it!

spring55 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 1:49am
post #3 of 6

I have 2 Vikings that we use in the shop. I love them! Heavy duty and I like that the heads lift back.

sportsmom005 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 2:11am
post #4 of 6

I have been researching and posting forum questions about which stand mixer to get. The KA was always my dream, but then I saw the Cuisinart with 800-1000 watts of power (depending on which model you choose). I decided that if I was going to make this investment, I wanted the mixer with the most power. Their warranty was better than KA's, too. However, I wasn't really crazy about the design-it was a little modern for my taste. Then I stumbled across the Viking. When I purchase my stand mixer, this is the one I am going to get! I love the design, how the head tilts back, and the little wheels on the back. It's warranty is better than KA's but not as good as Cuisinart, but I just like the look of it much better.

spring 55, since you own the Viking, what can you tell me about it? Any drawbacks?

Thanks,
CHrisy

spring55 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 6:30am
post #6 of 6

cmyoung5, we use our Vikings to rebeat the frosting. Our frosting is made in a 30qt. Hobart and it whips alot of air into the frosting. So we take the frosting and fill the Viking bowl and rebeat it to take the air out before we frost the cakes. I also make gumpaste in it. Haven't made fondant in it so can't comment on that.

I've only had them 6 months or so, but they run very smoothly. Love that the head tilts back and they are easy to clean. Hopefully they will last longer than the Sunbeam mixers we were using...and going through 2 a year.

Hth.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%