Photos

Decorating By CAKEARTIST Updated 27 Oct 2007 , 3:10pm by Ruth0209

CAKEARTIST Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 5

Hello everyone,

I need help with taking photos of my cakes and cookies. When I take pictures they do not come out well, especially my cakes with white or very pale icing. I have seen some wonderful photos here. What kind of camera should I be using? I have a digital camera which I believe is a 3.2 megapixel.

4 replies
Lucy0618 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 5

I THINK YOU NEED A BETTER CAMERA IN ORDER TO GET INCREDIBLE DETAILS. BEST ADVICE TO GIVE YOU FOR LIGHT OR BRIGHT CAKES IS TO MAYBE HEAD TO YOUR NEAREST FABRIC STORE OR EVEN TO WALMART AND BUY A DARK SHADE OF CLOTH MAYBE EVEN BLACK TO GIVE IT THAT ELEGANT LOOK, AND HANG IT TO YOUR WALL AND PLACE A STAND IN THE BOTTOM OF YOUR CLOTH AND IT WILL GIVE YOU THE EFFECT OF A BACKGROUND JUST WHEN YOU HAVE IT IN YOUR COMPUTER CROP IT SO YOU DON'T GET THE EDGES. HTH thumbs_up.gif

Copacabanya Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 7:21pm
post #3 of 5

One those bright white cakes, or any cake for that matter, it is best not to use your flash because it washes out all the details. Try to use as much natural light as possible, and definitely do go get a backdrop like Lucy0618 suggested. Those two things will make a world of difference!

Anya

JanH Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 7:17am
post #4 of 5
Ruth0209 Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 3:10pm
post #5 of 5

I agrree with the other posts. I avoid using my flash because it washes out the pics. You should also set your camera at the highest resolution. This will give you better detail, and it will also help if you print an enlarged picture. It may also help to use a tripod and zoom so you don't have to get so close, which helps if you have to use a flash. The tripod will keep the camera still which is essential with the zoom. I can't tell you how many pictures I thought were clear when I looked at them in the tiny little viewer on the camera, but then realized they were fuzzy when I viewed them on the computer after the cake was already out the door.

I agree that natural light is best. Unfortunately, I usually seem to finish my cakes in the dead of night!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%