Question About Coloring Icing...

Decorating By boysmom77327 Updated 23 Oct 2007 , 4:29pm by dominique26

boysmom77327 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boysmom77327 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 4:08pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone! I'm new to cake decorating...REALLY new...and I'm about to do a baby shower for a friend's son and his wife. They are wanting a John Deere tractor done in pink (it's a girl!) and I'm nervous and excited about doing this cake. My question has to do with black icing for the tires on the tractor. Is there any black gel color out there that doesn't taste yucky once it's mixed into the icing? Also, I've always used Wilton gel colors, but I'm thinking of trying the Americolor...any opinions?
Thanks so much in advance for any help anyone out there can offer!

Aaron

3 replies
pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 4:22pm
post #2 of 4

I've only used Wilton but a tip for you when making black, always start out with chocolate icing! Also, try to make the colour a few days in advance. Don't tint it as dark as you'd like it because as the colour sits, it will darken on its own. This way you use less dye!

danyellkepp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danyellkepp Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 4:36pm
post #3 of 4

Can I suggest using fondant for the tires? Seems to me it would be easier to cover them in fondant rather than trying to ice them.

dominique26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dominique26 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 4:29pm
post #4 of 4

I started out using Wilton colors, but now I use Americolor amost exclusively. Americolor Super Black is my favorite and I don't notice a change in icing taste at all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%