I Need Your Help!

Decorating By bubba01 Updated 23 Oct 2007 , 2:59pm by bubba01

bubba01 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 1:35pm
post #1 of 4

I would like to make a couple of dummy cakes using styrofoam. I would like to make one using buttercream and one using fondant? What buttercream recipe would you suggest I use so the frosting gets hard? Any suggestions or tips using fondant? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

3 replies
CelebrationCakery Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 1:50pm
post #2 of 4

I really don't know what others do but personally I made a dumby cake a few years ago and instead of buttercream I used a lightweight spackle from Home Depot and frosted it....then I can just remove decor and redo it and reuse it many times over and over, a little sand down and that is it and it will never go bad, maybe a little dusty though icon_smile.gificon_lol.gif

melvin01 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 1:52pm
post #3 of 4

Using fnodant on the dummy tiers should just be used as normal, I would use the Wilton stuff if you can since it seems to set up a lot harder than Satin Ice.

I would just add more Meringue Powder to the buttercream, although depending on how long you plan to keep the dummies out, a lot of people use royal icing to get the really hard shell.

Does anyone else have more tips? I have only covered a dummy tier once and it was for a wedding, not to keep.

bubba01 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 2:59pm
post #4 of 4

You've been a great help. Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%