Can I Mix 2 Batches Of Buttercream

Decorating By dandelion56602 Updated 23 Oct 2007 , 12:40pm by dandelion56602

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 11:16am
post #1 of 5

It's been a few months since I've decorated a cake & ran into the Crisco problem of it not crusting like I like it. (It just seems soooo greasy). So, I was wondering if I made a batch w/ GV, which does crust, if I could mix the 2 batches together & get an ok batch. I've had success w/ 1/2 Crisco & 1/2 GV, but just wondering if I can combine after the fact of mixing everything else into it? Does this make sense?

Thanks

4 replies
mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 11:29am
post #2 of 5

You can combine it without a problem and it will more than likely crust for you. If it doesn't, mix more ps in, and more liquid for the right consistancy. The crusting is ratio of ps to fat.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 11:30am
post #3 of 5

Check your GV before you use it, they have gone 0 trans fat also.
So far I have been able to find Kroger Shortening with trans fat in it. You might want o check the store brands, be careful they are marketing the shortening with animal fat right next to the vegetable shortening.

Jibbies

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 11:42am
post #4 of 5

I tried walmart brand - is that the Great Value? - that had 0 transfats and I thought it was too soft and greasy. I began using new 2/3 Crisco mixed with 1/3 GV and it's fine now!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 12:40pm
post #5 of 5

This was bought a few months ago & it's the full fat. It's as stiff as a girl's hair in the 80's. Thanks. I'll definitely be mixing the 2 together then!!! Just praying it comes out b/c I'll be making cakes for a fun fest & hope to get a few orders after the fact.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%