New Michael's In Town, Hiring Wilton Instructor

Decorating By MadPhoeMom Updated 24 Oct 2007 , 12:29am by TexasSugar

MadPhoeMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadPhoeMom Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 11:01am
post #1 of 3

hey ladies,
gosh, i'd love to do this....but i have a full time job, kids, hubby, etc.....and i bake on the side....

and it's wilton....which i don't always agree with BUT i owe my background to their teachings.....

i DO, however, teach....so my summer's are 'off'
i'm curious what would be involved to be a certified Wilton instructor....

any knowledge out there....

Sally

2 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 12:09pm
post #2 of 3

first i don't think wilton certifies their teachers. At least they never used to, personally i think this is a mistake on their part, but who am i.

Next to become an instructor its very easy. Go to their website and fill out an app. then someone will call you, interview you on the phone.

For michaels you need to be hired by them, and you will get paid by them.

If you are unsure of what they will require, i would inquire directly at the store to see if you even want to do it.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 12:29am
post #3 of 3

As Peg said, if you are interested go fill out the application on the Wilton site. You have to go through Wilton and not the store. If they approve you to be an instructor they will put you in touch with the store. At the store you will have to fill out their app, and go through a background check.

Wilton doesn't certify their instructors.

As far as agreeing with Wilton, or not, in class you are suppose to teach the Wilton way as well as promote their products. You follow the guidelines given. When I started I thought I would have an issue with that, since I had been decorating for a few years and knew there was more to cake decorating than just Wilton. It really hasn't. There are a few things that I will show the Wilton way and another way with, but I always show the Wilton way first. The way I look at it is that the Wilton classes are a great beginning and intro into the cake world.

For Michaels they want to you to offer atleast two courses a month, depending on the avaiblity of the classroom. If you have the time and the classroom is free you can teach all 4 courses.

You are required to do 4 to 5 three hour demos. These are called class previews and they are pre-set dates (Saturdays 1-4) by Michaels corporate. Michaels also wants you to do a 2 hour demo once a month, which is suppose to help promote your classes and get more interest in them. You do get paid for both of these demo's and with the 2 hour demo's they offer other incentives to get you to do them.

There is a Summer meeting they would like you to go to, and they do have 3 day training seminars in the fall and winter.

Outside of class there is some prep work and a little paper work as well, so the time you give to teaching isn't just the 2.5 to 3 hours (per class) at the store for the class.

I love my job, but I also don't have kids and a husband. I do however babysit 10 to 11 hours a day during the week, and there are several nights a week I go from babysitting to class and that makes for long days. I do also teach on Saturday evening, but that is my choice and a way to get students that can't come in during the week nights.

If you have any more questions about teaching at Michaels or things that are involved with teaching the classes at Michaels please feel free to message me. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%