I Hung Up On Her!!!!

Decorating By wgoat5 Updated 24 Oct 2007 , 10:11pm by DelightsByE

wgoat5 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 10:34am
post #1 of 52

Ok people I'm going to make a long story hopefully short....

Got a phone call last night when I walked in the door at 10:00 pm from my sons first basketball game (Adreneline apparently was still there lol). I answered thinking it might of been my mom because it had been raining in sheets here and was scared her roof was leaking. SOOOo...I said "Hello" the lady on the other end said "I found out about you thru a friend and I need a cake!" I said...umm can you call back tomorrow? I go on to tell her I had JUST walked through the door and was extremely tired. I did not have my schedule in front of me etc. etc. She said BUT I need one for tomorrow! I said SORRY too late of a notice. She proceeded to tell me she would gladly pay double. I said NO...I can't ... please call back another time ... She said NO I NEED A CAKE FOR TOMORROW and YOU are the only one I have to call!!!! I said NO...And I go ahead and explain AGAIN that I have no time to do a cake like she wants...she starts again to tell me about paying double!!! I said "Listen, it's late, I'm tired...I'm NOT willing to rush on the cake, I DONT have my schedule, I'm NOT willing to do this cake...." I said all of this calmly....She then says ONE curse word......and that's all I needed to hear...CLICK went the phone. I hung up.

I don't care if she spreads around that I am a bad person or that I refused her a cake. I want people to know that I WILL not be stepped on. IF they need a cake THAT bad they would of called at a decent hour and on a decent date. If I lose business over this woman then I don't need the business apparently.

So with that said LOL I stuck to my guns. I WILL NOT DO EXTREMELY Short notice orders!!!! NEVER!!!

Have a wonderful day guys icon_biggrin.gif

Christi

51 replies
mgdqueen Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 10:47am
post #2 of 52

"Your poor planning does not consitute an emergency for me"

You did the right thing. I would be MAD if someone called me at 10pm to begin with. Nobody calls me after 9 and if they ever do, they will get an earfull!!! thumbs_up.gif

acookieobsession Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 10:40am
post #3 of 52

Good for you.

Who curses over a cake?

It's just cake and icing after all!

wgoat5 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 10:53am
post #4 of 52

I think what I need to do is just have a seperate line for cake orders...I'm calling about that today UNFORTUNATELY my business cards have my home phone AND my cell phone on it! icon_sad.gif But this is changing very soon!

Just cake and icing lol....well they can buy a can of just icing...and buy a boxed cake mix and make their JUST CAKE icon_biggrin.gif

LOL

Christi

elizw Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 11:03am
post #5 of 52

that late at night, i just let voicemail get it and then check the message. if she is that desperate.....grocery store!

my business line is my cell phone. i've been thinking of listing business hours on my website and cards. as it is, i get calls in the evening (a few). mostly, emails and i usually respond to those during the daytime.

10:00 at night? i would have said no too!

RaYiTo Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 12:16pm
post #6 of 52

I JUST HAVE TO SAY,THAT LADY IS INSANE! GOOD THAT YOU HUNG UP ON HER!. icon_razz.gif

Brandonsmommy Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 12:29pm
post #7 of 52

Good for you for sticking to your guns!!

But since it IS just cake, and you HAVE a freezer........... Don't you just have them laying around in there?? icon_wink.gif

DuckyChickenLady Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 12:38pm
post #8 of 52

That is so 'low class'.
You did the right thing!

awolf24 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 12:40pm
post #9 of 52

Good for you for not being bullied by her! Hello - there are grocery stores and bakeries that DO make cakes (Gasp - I know, shocking of me to suggest that!). icon_smile.gif

cinderspritzer Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 2:51pm
post #10 of 52

well, i certainly hope that if she starts telling everyone how mean you are, that she doesn't neglect to tell them how rudely she acted by calling at 10 pm and then having the gall to swear at you.

wgoat5 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 2:53pm
post #11 of 52

I tell you what...I could NOT work in the food industry "out" in the working world. icon_sad.gif People are so dag gone rude. I DO get my feelings hurt toooo easily so it wouldn't work for me! icon_sad.gificon_sad.gif I need to grow a pair LOL

rezzygirl Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 3:11pm
post #12 of 52

I can just hear her tell her side:

Well... I called this woman at 10pm and she was out of breath when she answered the phone, likes she just walked in the door or something, so of course I thought this was the perfect time for my request.
I began to explain my situation to her..how I needed a cake the next day ..I'm sure she always does cakes until sunrise!! And she refused!!! Can you believe it!!! icon_eek.gif I mean.. shouldn't she have bowed down to my last minute request!!! I tried every trick in the "how to not take no for an answer" book to get her to change her mind. I was quite sure that when I dropped the F*** bomb she would soften up but can you believe she hung up on me!!! Some people. Just so you know.. If you ever want a cake from this unreasonable woman, you have to actually give her enough time to make it. sheesh. icon_lol.gif

justsweet Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 3:25pm
post #13 of 52

You do not need someone talking to you that way. If the cake was that important she should have place an order week or more with you or who ever. I had someone request me to make her daughters first birthday cake, the party is for next June. She knows I do it for a hobby and said I don't care I have tasted your baking and cooking I know it will be awesome. Just tell me the price.

aswartzw Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 3:28pm
post #14 of 52

You had every right to hang up on her. I would have hung up prior to her ever having time to cuss at me. icon_lol.gif Honestly, that shows the woman has no class and probably is one of those troublemakes that all of us love. I don't understand why she can't just run to the store and buy a premade cake. Some people have no respect anymore. I was raised to not even call family after 10! Much less do business that late!! And cuss at people! My mom would still wash my mouth out with soap. icon_razz.gif

jenncowin Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 3:42pm
post #15 of 52

I agree with everyone else. You had every right to hang up on her the minute the swear word came out of her mouth. If it's a b-day cake for her child, it's not like she didn't know it was coming..HELLO!

I'm proud of you for holding your ground!

tatetart Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 3:44pm
post #16 of 52

Good for you Christi!
You teach people how to treat you! thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 4:04pm
post #17 of 52

Who in the heck calls at 10 o'clock at night to order a cake to start with!! Common sense and common decency (both terms are oxy-morons, I know!) would dictate that it was a stupid time to call!

Wonder if she called her local grocery store at 10:00 p.m. .... oh wait .... THEY go home at night, don't they? Wonder if she called THEM at home!? icon_lol.gif

My biz phone is my cell number. After 7:00 p.m., if I don't recognize the number, then it goes to VM. Before 9:00 a.m., same rule applies.

fondantgrl Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 4:07pm
post #18 of 52

You should get a trophy and a Nobel Prize for doing so..

She's a customer, but in situations such as this, she was not right.

Even stores and offices have business hours, so why shouldn't you ?

GOOD FOR YOU !!! Kudos to you
!!! icon_smile.gif

Tallulah Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 4:08pm
post #19 of 52

You had every right to hang up on her! People have no idea how long it takes to finish a cake, any cake no matter how simple it may be. What nerve to call you at 10 pm and ask you for a cake the following day.

I had something similar happen to me this weekend. I was throwing my son a birthday party with a Halloween theme. I baked a cake I had seen on this site that looked like a halloween basket with candy corn on top. People thought it was a basket and kept eating the candy corn (tee hee)

Well, I also booked a clown. She saw the cake and couldn't believe it was cake. So she entertains the kids (badly I might add) and gets ready to leave at 7pm. She then asks me, mind you I have 25 kids plus parents in my house, can I bake her a cake just like it for the FOLLOWING DAY?! icon_eek.gif . You know, for her son's birthday. She apparently did not see people in my house or kids running around!

I tried to be nice about it. I kindly pointed out I had people in my house AS SHE CAN SEE, plus cleanup and there was NO WAY I could bake a cake, cover in fondant and airbrush in time for her son's party the following day. The last time I checked humans need sleep!

I empathize with you. You wre within your rights to hang up on her. How rude!

Cakery Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 4:18pm
post #20 of 52

Christi.....good for you! I have a seperate line for my cake business....and an answering machine.....for after hours.....they can leave a message. When you had already explained that you didn't take late orders....that should have been enough.....but honey...BEEN THERE before too with a recent BRIDE....and I have never been cussed out over a phone like she did to me.....and I finally hung up on her too....she called back....and I told her if she said ONE MORE WORD......NO WEDDING CAKE!! She never said anything back to me and I got my 2 cents in to her.....and almost told her she could have her money back. Next thing I know....she comes over to appologise and begged me to forgive her for acting like she did. You just never know about some folks when they call either. But good for you!!! Believe me....now days, don't think you won't ever get another cussing out on the phone either....LOL. Some people are just really rude. I know she was desperate....but still, she shouldn't have waited till the last minute either.

lardbutt Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 4:25pm
post #21 of 52

I do hope you did get her name so if she ever contacts you again.......you can practice that hanging up action again!

Carolynlovescake Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 4:23pm
post #22 of 52

I would have taken her order, then called her back at 3am with questions on her order, then again at 4am with more questions then at 7am called saying "due to the late notice and me rushing for you the cake got knocked over in my rush and now with it being last minute I can't make another in time. Please call WalMart".

icon_evil.gificon_evil.gificon_evil.gif

janicecold Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 4:33pm
post #23 of 52

Oh come on, we all know that we just love getting late calls at night, people asking us to make a cake for the next day, bake and decorate it till all hours of the night!! It is our favorite past time don't you know and we don't have our own lives to live and take care of first!!!

I don't understand people. Why would she leave it to the last minute to get a cake in the first place. Like someone else said, there are bakeries and stores around that sell premade cakes to purchase. HELLO, I do believe there is a Walmart and grocery stores in most large cities!! If they only know what work goes into making a cake.

Good for you for hanging up on her, especially when they start to sware at you for their stupidity!!

I worked in the food industry for many years and will not go back any more because people are so rude.

janicecold Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 4:33pm
post #24 of 52

Oh come on, we all know that we just love getting late calls at night, people asking us to make a cake for the next day, bake and decorate it till all hours of the night!! It is our favorite past time don't you know and we don't have our own lives to live and take care of first!!!

I don't understand people. Why would she leave it to the last minute to get a cake in the first place. Like someone else said, there are bakeries and stores around that sell premade cakes to purchase. HELLO, I do believe there is a Walmart and grocery stores in most large cities!! If they only know what work goes into making a cake.

Good for you for hanging up on her, especially when they start to sware at you for their stupidity!!

I worked in the food industry for many years and will not go back any more because people are so rude.

Cakelover763 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 4:49pm
post #25 of 52

You go girl!!!!! After all that is what the off button is for, ending conversations that are getting no where. icon_wink.gif (wish we could do that to some people in person icon_evil.gif ). I wonder what part of "NO "she couldn't understand. icon_confused.gif

holliewest Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 4:50pm
post #26 of 52

You go girl! You had EVERY right to hang up on here.

diane Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 5:37pm
post #27 of 52

you go girl!!!

jadak Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 5:59pm
post #28 of 52

One more reason why I love my caller ID! icon_smile.gif

Cakelover763 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 8:53pm
post #29 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadak

One more reason why I love my caller ID! icon_smile.gif

I second that thumbs_up.gif

cakedesigner59 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 12:02am
post #30 of 52

[quote="wgoat5"]I think what I need to do is just have a seperate line for cake orders..."

I DID have a private line for my business and I got phone calls at 11pm!! People are just rude...that's a fact of life (sorry to say).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%