Nfsc Didn't Hold Their Shape. What The??

Baking By crazycakes2007 Updated 23 Oct 2007 , 5:36am by crazycakes2007

crazycakes2007 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 4:49am
post #1 of 7

Have mercy on a newbie. My NFSC didn't hold their shape, and I swear I followed the recipe to a tee.

Two things... I used all purpose flour, and I sifted before and after measuring. What messed it up? AND, I've got a motherload of dough, can it be saved or will it be overworked if I add more flour? Thanks! Cheryl

6 replies
JoAnnB Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 4:49am
post #2 of 7

After you cut the cookies, the must be very cold when they go into the oven. If that doesn't work, you could try a bit more flour. the dough you have should not be sticky. Most people find it a bit on the dry side.

crazycakes2007 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 5:00am
post #3 of 7

Thanks JoAnn! Cookies going in from the 15 minute freezer to the oven...we'll see! Cheryl

cakenutz Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 5:05am
post #4 of 7

I never sift it. Always bake in a 20 min preheated oven. And when doing second batch in oven make sure pan has cool off. HTH

sportsmom005 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 5:29am
post #5 of 7

Once I'm finished making my dough, I roll it between two sheets of parchment and stick it in the fridge to get cold. I learned this here on CC and LOVE this tip! No extra flour is needed, just cut with cookie cutters and bake. The dough is nice and cold, so the cookies hold their shape very well.

crazycakes2007 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 5:24am
post #6 of 7

Okay, the second batch is going MUCH better, thanks to you JoAnn, I didn't through away the batter. I had skipped the needed freezer step. I still think I should consider weighing instead of measuring... Cakenutz, sounds like you don't sift before OR after. Cool. Thanks for the timely help. Cheryl

crazycakes2007 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 5:36am
post #7 of 7

Cool... I usually do that (parchment, fridge...), but I splurged on two silpats today with a store credit I had (otherwise, no way!). It really did work like a dream, just like in Antonia's how to bake and ice cookies tutorial. Thank you all for the help. Tomorrow I'll ice! <<<Cheryl

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%