Sweetex Vs Crisco

Decorating By bostonterrierlady Updated 29 Oct 2007 , 3:07am by vdrsolo

bostonterrierlady Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 3:50am
post #1 of 3

I tried some icing with some Sweetex I bought. I really did not like it. Believe it or not it tasted different to me. And I did not like the feel in my mouth. On the other hand I like the idea of Crisco and the no trans fats.
I just got my dvd from sugarshack. I was wondering if I can make it work without the high ratio shortening? I know this is quite a debate about the trans fat issue. I do like the idea of no trans fats. I have been pretty successful with the air bubble issue with just mixing my icing for as short a time as possible. I would love your insight on this issue. And what I could do to make the icing taste better. Also does Creme Bouquet have amond in it? Some are not able to eat almonds or any nuts.
Thanks for listening to me.

2 replies
JanH Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 6:04am
post #2 of 3

If you use too much hi-ratio shortening in your b/c recipe, the mouth feel is excessively cloying - like eating a stick of sweetened butter.

(Tried to use my old recipes using the same amount of hi-ratio and I had the whole family gagging.... It's just too rich - like trying to chug heavy whipping cream instead of milk!)

vdrsolo Posted 29 Oct 2007 , 3:07am
post #3 of 3

I actually use the same amount of high ratio (I use Alpine, have not tried Sweetex) as I did Crisco. But I do whip the shortening by itself on high speed until it literally doubles in volume before adding my liquid/flavorings, then my powdered sugar. Gives it a much lighter, creamier feel. If you don't whip it, I could see it being heavy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%