Do You Ever Get Anxious W/ Decorating??

Decorating By Brandonsmommy Updated 23 Oct 2007 , 3:56am by superstar

Brandonsmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brandonsmommy Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 2:28am
post #1 of 11

I just can't get myself to stop fidegiting tonite. I am NOT happy how this cake is coming out. thumbsdown.gif I just and NOT into decorating it at all and I have to, I don't want to be rushed in the AM to do it. It's for work and due at about 12noon for a lunch time fun at work.

I am new to decorating, and I just get myself worked up sometimes. I think I just need to take a class or 2 and get some confidience in myself!

I am wigging tonite. WHY icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

10 replies
elizw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizw Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 2:59am
post #2 of 11

sometimes i'm "not in the zone". every time i pick up the icing bag to do something, i end up scraping it off because its not right. i've learned that i just need to put it down, go sit down, watch tv or read a book for 20-30 minutes. then, i go back and try again. most of the time that works for me. sometimes we don't have the luxury of taking a break due to time. even if you just step back and chill for 15 mintues, it might help!

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 3:12am
post #3 of 11

Every time I start to decorate, I get nervous. My hands start shaking and I start to panic. I don't know what it is. Like eliz said, I have to walk away for a while and relax.

Good Luck.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 3:10am
post #4 of 11

Every week gets a little bit anxious at the begining of the week..i do wedding cakes for a living and some weeks we have a lot..Last week i had 13..Knowing you have thos many cakes will get anyone anxious...In my case is not the decorating is more the fact that i want to get them done and out so i can relax on friday night!.. icon_biggrin.gif

ericaann79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaann79 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 3:15am
post #5 of 11

I almost threw in the towel on Friday night doing my nephew's scooby cake. I thought I was so prepared..,made the fondant and buttercream in advance all I had to do was stack and frost...but...didn't have enough buttercream...made a new batch...didn't have enough blue fondant...had to make another batch by the time my fiance helped me my one hour turned into 4 hours...I was so anxious I thought I was going to start crying! I think we all have those days...or nights icon_smile.gif

dominique26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dominique26 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 3:25am
post #6 of 11

Whenever I have a "difficult" cake to tackle, I tend to have dreams about decorating it for one or two nights before I start on it. Of course in the dreams, everything that can go wrong does, but when I actually start on the cake I feel confident because I feel like mentally I've already been thru the worst.

Lol-I probably sound like a nut! icon_razz.gif

Brandonsmommy Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 3:28am
post #7 of 11

Well this cake has started off BAD, it fell or never rose which ever you want to call it. icon_confused.gif It's in my pictures. So I just decided to make a new one.

All came out ok w/ that. The icing is a little darker than I wanted BUT I can live w/ it. What I see in my head, isn't actually happening just yet. It looks like a Barbie pink flop in my eyes. icon_cry.gif But I am working on it slowly. I'll post a picture of it when I am done. Might be in the AM but I'll finsh this dang thing!! icon_evil.gif

Lorendabug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorendabug Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 3:37am
post #8 of 11

I get very uptight when I am doing cakes for people that I work with. Friends and family no problem. But, when it comes to work I have a hard time coming up with a design and I can't get a cake smooth enough for some reason.

I usually take a break, do a little clean up and get back to it and it turns out great! My husband says "baby steps, just take baby steps", then I fling frosting at him and I feel much better. icon_lol.gif

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 3:38am
post #9 of 11

Sorry to tell you this friends, but for some people it never goes away. I have been doing cakes since 1959, sometimes everything goes smooth as glass and the cake turns out exactly as I had hoped. Other times I am so insecure about whether I can actually create the design I have in mind that I will put it off all day. I have the cakes leveled, the filling and icing made, my cake board covered and I just can't make myself get started. When I finally can't delay any longer I get in and do it. There are times I've done that and the cakes turns out perfectly, other times I look at the finished effort and know I could have done better if I hadn't procrastinated.

Brandonsmommy Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 3:58am
post #10 of 11

It'll never go away icon_cry.gif

But maybe I'll just get better and that'll help some RIGHT??

I'd love to fling some icing as SOMEONE! but all are in bed, you'd think it would be easier but it's not.

I have been having some trouble w/ people at work (I am a temp person) and there are 2 in particular that are just trouble makers and they will find SOMETHING to say about the cake. icon_mad.gif just b/c they like to start crap w/ or about people. I don't let it bother me but I kinda feel like I am setting myself up for something, kwim??

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 3:56am
post #11 of 11

I know what Shirley means, I do exactly the same thing. I am not as experienced as Shirley so it does my heart good to hear she has the same problem I do. Love you Shirl.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%