Dry Frosting Problems

Decorating By SUUMEME Updated 25 Oct 2007 , 1:40am by JanH

SUUMEME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUUMEME Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 1:19am
post #1 of 6

This Saturday I made 2 Doz. Cupcakes for my sons soccer team. They had an undercoat of frosting in green then I added the same green "grass" tip on top of that and placed a candy soccer ball on top so it looked like a soccer ball sitting on grass. They turned out cute as a button but I was disapointed when I tasted one at the party, the frosting just crumbled off the top even the undercoat crumbled. I used a bc frosting w/ real butter and some Crisco, then some milk and the powdered sugar. It all went on fine but why did it end up so dry? Is there a better recipe I can use that doesn't dry out AND while I have your attention is there a better white or yellow cupcake recipe I could use? I used a box mix and it was disapointing too. icon_sad.gif I just know there has to be a better cupcake recipe out there. I am begining to feel that cupcakes can't be made well from cake batter- they need their own "cupcake batter" any suggestions?

5 replies
woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 1:27am
post #2 of 6

I find that mine crusts pretty hard when I use more butter. try using half butter half shortening. I don't like all shortening, but a lot of ppl do. Was the weather dry?
I always use 1-2-3-4 cake for cupcakes. Always to rave reviews. I use buttermilk and vinegar instead of milk.

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 1:28am
post #3 of 6

Funny you asked this question because I just asked one about how to make my frosting more dry since I am in a humid climate!
I use the Buttercream Dream recipe on this site and *love* it!
I also use a box mix for cupcakes but doctor it up with yogurt, milk instead of the water, a box of instant pudding and an extra egg.
Hope that helps & good luck!

tasteebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tasteebakes Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 1:52am
post #4 of 6

I just started using buttercream dream recipe and alos LOVE it. I think your recipe may have had too much powdered sugar.
I use pillsbury box mix and always add a box of instant pudding. I prepare box mix as directed and then add pudding mix. People go on and on about how good and moist my cupcakes are.
Try the buttercream dream recipe. I like it because it has a few easy on hand ingredients and tastes great.

SUUMEME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUUMEME Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 1:00pm
post #5 of 6

thanks for the suggestions, I am going to try each one as I have two more orders this week for cupcakes- trial and error I will figure it out and be dubbed the "Cupcake Queen"!!! thumbs_up.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 1:40am
post #6 of 6

The doctored WASC cake recipe also makes good cupcakes:

http://tinyurl.com/2cu8s4

You might like this b/c recipe, it's minimally crusting.

Whipped Cream B/C:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2019-Whipped-Cream-Buttercream-Frosting.html

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%