Sculpting Decorations

Decorating By dellswife Updated 24 Oct 2007 , 8:58pm by dellswife

dellswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dellswife Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 10:41pm
post #1 of 3

Hi there icon_biggrin.gif

Just wondering everyone's opinion!

I will be making a 2 tier birthday cake with multi color circles on it. I have the fondant circle cut outs to use. I also wanted to make some monkey's to put on it. (My daughters nickname is monkey)

Anyways....I will be covering the cake in bc and wanted to do some kind of fondant for the circles and sculptures.

What should I use for the decorations/sculptures? Fondant, MMF, other?

I have never worked with fondant before either, so would using a store bought brand be okay since the cake wont be covered in it? People prob wont eat it? (If fondant is the recommendation...)

Also, FYI, I am in Canada, so not sure if all brands are available here icon_smile.gif

2 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 11:16pm
post #2 of 3

If you have never used fondant before, I recommend buying a ready to use fondant. Almost any brand but Wilton is very good. Wilton is easy to use, but doesn't taste very good to most people (some actually like it)

The cutout decorations can be done from fondant and applied to the cake. If they don't need to curve much, you can do them several days ahead, if you need time. To stick the cut-outs on, just barely moisten the back of the pieces with a tiny bit of water. They will then stick to the icing.

dellswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dellswife Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 8:58pm
post #3 of 3

I didn't know you posted a reply....Thank you for respondingicon_biggrin.gif

Exactly what I needed to know about buying and making my own. I will definately buy some ready made!

And thank you for your tip on how to get it to stick!!!

Thank you very much!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%