Crumbcoat Bc Curdled??? Help

Decorating By laurynrn Updated 23 Oct 2007 , 1:12pm by DianeLM

laurynrn Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 9:50pm
post #1 of 5

So, I have been a big lurker just learning all I can. My last cake was one disaster after another starting with the BC crumbcoat. I made it thinner with water and milk but it was so wet it wouldnt crust even after being in front of a fan for 30 minutes. So I had to "wipe"/scrape that layer off for fear that it would make my cake soggy and also it wouldn't crust making icing the whole thing an even bigger problem. I survived by icing with the BC really thick.
So whats the trick to a nice thin BC crumbcoat?????
Thanks so much, I love this site and when I can get my darn camera to download to this pc I will be able to post my cakes.

4 replies
JoAnnB Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 10:20pm
post #2 of 5

The crumb coat just needs to be a little softer. You probably just added too much extra liquid. If you are using a buttercream that is already soft, you may not have to add any additional liquid.

If you can take a spatual full of icing and easily spread it over you cake with out tearing much crumb, then it is right for a crumbcoat.

jmt1714 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 10:28pm
post #3 of 5

i second that - "thinning" only involves adding a tiny bit of liquid to your buttercream - and some are already so soft it hardly takes any at all.

laurynrn Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 12:47pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the advice. I figured I made it too thin.

DianeLM Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 1:12pm
post #5 of 5

Rather than adding liquid, sometimes I'll gently heat my crumb coat icing to soften it. Just 8-10 seconds in the micro usually does the trick.

I find that if I let my crumbcoat sit for any length of time, it tends to want to slide off the cake. I have to ice within 5 minutes of crumbcoating or I'll have a big mess on my hands. My cakes are pretty moist. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%