Adding Liqueur To Cake Mix

Decorating By spanky62798 Updated 23 Oct 2007 , 3:10am by SLK

spanky62798 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 9:16pm
post #1 of 13

Does anyone have any suggestions/advice in adding liqueurs to cake recipes? I'm looking to make a cake w/ Grand Marnier, but all the recipes I've found have ingredients that the bride is not wanting.

anyways, thanks in advance for the help!!!

thanks!
Cristina

12 replies
KoryAK Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 9:48pm
post #2 of 13

You can easily sub some of the water with it then add it to the simple syrup as you are assembling.

spanky62798 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 11:38pm
post #3 of 13

I'm sorry, but I'm stumped - what's simple syrup and how is it used?

thanks!

KoryAK Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 12:56am
post #4 of 13

Simple syrup is equal parts by volume sugar and water boiled together. It is brushed onto the cut surfaces of cakes to add moisture as you are stacking and filling them. You can also add any sort of flavorings to it. If you wanted you can sprinkle just some grand marnier by itself tho.

spanky62798 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 1:18am
post #5 of 13

oh okay, I get it!

let me ask you this if you don't mind - she LOVES Grand Marnier, so she wants it flavorful - but to please other guests, she doesn't want too much. On the other hand I'm fearful of it being too little. If the recipe calls for a cup of water, you think a 1/4 cup of liqueur would be enough? I'm a little nervous trying a simple syrup on this cake. It'll be covered in bc & fondant so atleast we've got other flavors to kind of smooth it out. Oh wait - that could be bad if I don't put enough in!!! AHHHHH!! icon_smile.gif

KoryAK Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 1:32am
post #6 of 13

Putting it on directly is going to be much stronger and taste much more like alcohol than if you put it inside. I say go with the 1/4cup (then again, i have no idea how much batter you are planning on putting this 1/4 cup into...) or maybe 1/3 then taste a bit once it comes out. If you feel like it needs more oompf then do a little simple syrup or even add it to the buttercream.

JaneK Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 1:25am
post #7 of 13

For my son's cake which I just made, I used Grand Marnier in the SMBC and also in a simple syrup...it was not over powering but you could definitely taste that orange liqueur flavour...the cake was a scratch sour cream spice and the syrup had Grand Marnier, cinnamon and orange added to it...same for the SMBC..it was a really good flavour and everyone at the cake...literally just a tiny bit left over...

So you might want to do the Grand Marnier in the icing and syrup rather than the cake....just a thought...

HTH
Jane

spanky62798 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 1:33am
post #8 of 13

Oh my gosh I feel like I don't know a thing!!! What is SMBC? How much do you normally add to your bc icing a tsp or two? And then with the syrup, what's the amount of liqueur you usually add to the sugar & water?

You guys rock!!! Thanks so much for being so willing to help!

jibbies Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 1:58am
post #9 of 13

Here are a couple of links to Simple syrup threads
http://forum.cakecentral.com/c.....5178-.html
http://forum.cakecentral.com/c.....5643-.html

Hope this helps

Jibbies

KoryAK Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 2:16am
post #10 of 13

SMBC is swiss meringue buttercream. You can put it in ABC (american buttercream) as well. The good thing here is that you can add and taste add and taste. Same with the syrup.

JaneK Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 2:42am
post #11 of 13

For my son's cake which I just made, I used Grand Marnier in the SMBC and also in a simple syrup...it was not over powering but you could definitely taste that orange liqueur flavour...the cake was a scratch sour cream spice and the syrup had Grand Marnier, cinnamon and orange added to it...same for the SMBC..it was a really good flavour and everyone at the cake...literally just a tiny bit left over...

So you might want to do the Grand Marnier in the icing and syrup rather than the cake....just a thought...

HTH
Jane

SLK Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 3:02am
post #12 of 13

I make several cakes with alchol. I usually add between 1/3 and 2/3 cups. For example, I make a white or chocolate russian cake with Bailies and Kaluah - I add 1/3 cup of each - my batter makes approximately 9 cups - so if you are dealing with a smaller batter ratio, use less alchol.

I've also added amaretto - 1/2 cup per batter. I've never used Grand Marnier - If I were trying it, I'd first determin if it is a strong liqueur (sorry, I've never had it befor) and bas your amount on that.

Whatever you use - just decrease the other liquids by that amount.

Good luck!

SLK Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 3:10am
post #13 of 13

sorry, duplicate message.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%