Bridezilla On A Rampage!!!

Decorating By DebbyTCL Updated 24 Oct 2007 , 11:49am by diane

DebbyTCL Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 9:02pm
post #1 of 24

Well, it finally happened to me. I had my first bridezilla!

The couple come to me asking me to make the a 3 tier pumpkin cake in the theme of fall, not halloween. No problem. Then groom tells me that he wants every pumpkin airbrushed in the colors of yellow, green & brown's, as in every color together, and to airbrush on the vines. Yikes! I explain to him that this will not look good and I can actually make the vines so that it is 3D. His bride tells him the same thing as she has seen my cakes at other events. He is insistant on the cake being this way. Ok, to each thier own.

I make the cake, freeze, carve, frost & cover with fondant. Airbrush it & I have to say that it looked beautiful. Which surprised me.

So I drive 1 hour away from the shop to deliver this cake and.....wait for it..... they hate it!

Of course they hate it, it is what he asked for.

I have learned that when the customer asks for something that is sssooo different, bring supplies to make changes! So, I brought my airbrush machine & paint with me.

They ask me if I can make it white!!!! No, I can not make it white, but I can make changes. They have me wash the pumpkins to get the paint off. So, now it looks like this. I was so mad! 2 Hours to wash this cake. Then do set up. I was there for 3 hours instead of 15 minutes.

While I am washing the cakes, the head chef/owner comes in and asked what happened! She said she loved my cake, why was I changing it. I explain what the bride & groom said. She told me that they have been terrible since they got there the day before. Chewing out her staff & complaining about everything.

Well, at least it is over!
LL
LL

23 replies
JoAnnB Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 9:29pm
post #2 of 24

Show them the contract and wish them a happy life.

cinderspritzer Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 9:30pm
post #3 of 24

yeah. good luck with that marriage, lol. yick. what a couple of jerks.

1nanette Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 9:39pm
post #4 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnnB

Show them the contract and wish them a happy life.

Exactly!!!

cakeatopia Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 9:38pm
post #5 of 24

never heard of such a thing.

Are your picts before or after the washing?

DebbyTCL Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 9:39pm
post #6 of 24

Oh, that's ok. I have a clause in my contract that if there are ANY changes to a final contract, that there is a $150.00 fee + expenses. So I sent them an invoice this morning for the fee, 2 hours & supplies.

I actually heard her tell her son that "she did not have time for him today". OMG!, Who tells their kid that???

If I was a betting woman, which I happen to be, I would say that this marriage will not work. She is way too bossy and he had that deer in the head lights look. Poor guy!

avenje Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 9:46pm
post #7 of 24

LOL! I want to see if they fight you on having to pay it. How do you wash fondant without it getting sticky??

GenGen Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 9:55pm
post #8 of 24

hmm something tells me their in for a surprise come spring when they finaly wakeup and smell the coffee..... and i dont mean a surprise as in a bundle of JOY either...

sarahnichole975 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 10:21pm
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by avenje

LOL! I want to see if they fight you on having to pay it. How do you wash fondant without it getting sticky??

Yes, do tell. I have this horrible image of you picking these pumpkins up and running them under the faucet...lol...but I know better.

You know these are the ones that you just can't please. I'm not gonna say the original was to my taste, but once again, what they asked for. I do like the overall idea of the cake, just with different colors airbrushed, or at least not all together. I'd like to see pics of what you ended up doing. I too would expect them to fight you on the invoice as well, even though I think you're completely in the right here. Good job taking your airbrush along. You must be one smart cookie to have thought of that.

DebbyTCL Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 10:40pm
post #10 of 24

LOL, no, I did not hold it under the faucet! But that is funny to think about.

I used a clean, wet washcloth to wipe, rince, wipe, rinse, & so on & so on, until I got all but what you see on the cakes.

The picture is the cake after wiping the paint off.

The fondant was definetely sticky. I also had my dryer with me and blow dryed it on the cool setting to get it to dry.

As far as them paying the balance due, it also says in my contract that if I have to take them to court that they are responsible for the court fees as well.

doughdough Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 10:44pm
post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyTCL

Oh, that's ok. I have a clause in my contract that if there are ANY changes to a final contract, that there is a $150.00 fee + expenses. So I sent them an invoice this morning for the fee, 2 hours & supplies.

OMG, I just have to say that YOU ROCK!! thumbs_up.gif

They sound like a couple of nutjobs...I would love to see their faces when they open your bill!! icon_surprised.gif

DebbyTCL Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 11:20pm
post #12 of 24

Y'all, I gotta say this. I have always been a strong person who works things out, keeps things in line, on time, a little compulsive I guess. I don't complain about things as it doesn't solve anything. I am relatively new to CC. After being here in the CC community and seeing the posts and then the responses, WOW. You are the ones who rock! It is so nice to be able to talk to others who understand our work and the stress that goes with it. Wanting every cake to be perfect, the hours of thought and time that goes into it. And when things don't go well, everyone here is so supportive! Thanks for letting me vent about this! It has never happened to me and it kind of set me back.

leily Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 11:35pm
post #13 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyTCL

Love it!! Definitely gotta work this into my contract!

Carolynlovescake Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 11:55pm
post #14 of 24

Debby,

I'm still witing my contract & love the two clauses you mentioned.

Can you send me a copy of your contract so I can how it's all worded?

[email protected] if you ae comfy sending it out.

Brandonsmommy Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 4:29am
post #15 of 24

AFter all that they wanted WHITE? A WHITE pumpkin huh? icon_confused.gif Maybe because it's late, but wouldn't that be gourd?? Ya know the ones w/ the green strips on it??

cakeatopia Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 9:39am
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonsmommy

AFter all that they wanted WHITE? A WHITE pumpkin huh? icon_confused.gif Maybe because it's late, but wouldn't that be gourd?? Ya know the ones w/ the green strips on it??

would be fitting since he was "out of his gourd"! icon_cry.gif

sarahnichole975 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 4:53pm
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonsmommy

You know, we have a pumpkin patch down here that grows creole pumpkins and they are actually white. First time I went and saw them I thought they were so odd looking. But then I embraced them as I do everything from our heritage here. Perhaps they had seen them, or perhaps as the PP said, they are off their gourds!!!

So my next question is, if that was the washed pumpkins (which BTW I would have never guessed you washed them, they do look good and very pumpkin like) do you have pics of the original with the combined colors.

DebbyTCL Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 4:52pm
post #18 of 24

No, I didn't take any pictures. I was going to take them after the cakes were stacked.

diamondjacks Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 5:02pm
post #19 of 24

ugh... I would be like let me recommend you to such and such they have more time to deal with your crap!

DebbyTCL Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 5:36pm
post #20 of 24

Yes, I guess I should have known when they had their design appt. She was so overbearing! I just usually ignore the behavior of people like that.

It would have been a little too late to send them somewhere else with it being 3 hours before the wedding started.

I always want the bride to be happy with what she has ordered. She tried to talk him out of what he had asked for. But, I guess she gave in as he was paying for everything including the cake!

The wedding was at a mill. The site was gorgeous! Trees with the fall colors going on. In the 70's and sunny outside. The mill was going round and running into the pond below. (An old man was actually there in hip waders fishing from the bank! Picture perfect but I was to p---ed off at this point to capture the moment). The cabin above (further up the side of the mountain) that was the reception site with all surround glass windows. I am sure that it was a beautiful ceremony.

But...her additude...good golly. She had the groom, staff, her child, her guests & myself just jumping every which way trying to please her! And she had a coordinator there! Why was the bride doing everything and the coordinator just standing around doing nothing but gossiping!

I had my son's fiance' with me. While the bride was telling me how they hated the cake and everything that was wrong with it. I just kept smiling. Sure I can change it! Sure I will try. Sure I will wash your pumpkins! Yes, I will take off the leaves. Yes, I will put them back on. Sure, I will wash off more of the color. Sorry, I can not make it white. All being said with a smile & pleasant additude. My sons fiance' looked at me after the bride walked away and asked me how I can be so nice to her. I said that she is responsible for her actions and I am responsible for mine and one day I will have to answer for mine as she will as well. It doesn't cost me anything to be nice. And, everyone there, the staff, her child, herself, her guests, was watching how I reacted to her, I was not going to make a horses a$$ out of myself nor stoop that low. She said that she was so glad that she came with me and now she knows how NOT to act if something doesn't go right at her wedding.

diamondjacks Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 5:52pm
post #21 of 24

Good to hear that it was an opportune moment for her to learn how not to be! They can get so caught up on "my day" that they forget others are doing their best and knew from the beginning how to do their job if they would of just stepped back and listened... blah to the bride! Yeah for your son's fiance!!

superstar Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 2:25am
post #22 of 24

Debby, I really like your style. Please let us know if you receive the extra payment without any problems!!!! I would love to know.

DebbyTCL Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 11:32am
post #23 of 24

I will give an update in a week or two. I had given them a deadline/due date for the balance due next Monday. I had followed up the written invoice with an e-mail to each of them. I received an automated e-mail from the groom stating that they were on their honeymoon until November 1st. So, I will give it till the 5th or 6th.

diane Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 11:49am
post #24 of 24

that cake would have been beautiful had it been left alone. sometimes what you have in your head does not look good in person. i think that man realized it after you gave it a wash. why can't people trust the experts when it comes to this kind of stuff...isn't that why we are getting paid...because we have experience with cakes??!!!! icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%