3 Tier Cake To Squat For 200 Portions

Decorating By SugarBakers05 Updated 24 Oct 2007 , 2:29am by SugarBakers05

SugarBakers05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakers05 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 8:29pm
post #1 of 21

I've been asked to do a 3 tier wedding cake to feed 200 people. I've read the cutting guide, but do you think a combo of 16", 12" and 10" would be too squat? Or would a cake for 200 look nicer as 4 tiers instead?

20 replies
ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 8:37pm
post #2 of 21

Are you not including a top anniversary tier?

If you include an 8" top anniversary tier, it'll be perfect.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 8:38pm
post #3 of 21

4 or even 5. 200 as a three tier will be very short and fat.

christielee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christielee Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 8:38pm
post #4 of 21

I think it might look a little squatty. It would seem to need a little smaller top. I have the same request for this weekend. I bought the three inch pans, and I am making them double stacked with a 14", 10", and a 6". It's my first and I am very nervous!! That feeds a little over 200, I think, I hate serving guide charts, cause I feel like an idiot!

Christie

SugarBakers05 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 8:41pm
post #5 of 21

Thanks everyone, I had a feeling it would be kind of stumpy icon_rolleyes.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 8:50pm
post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by christielee

I think it might look a little squatty. It would seem to need a little smaller top. I have the same request for this weekend. I bought the three inch pans, and I am making them double stacked with a 14", 10", and a 6". It's my first and I am very nervous!! That feeds a little over 200, I think, I hate serving guide charts, cause I feel like an idiot!

Christie

I'm nervous for you too, hon! First, the 3" pans take a lot longer to cook and you have to be careful about not drying out the edges before the middle is done. Not that it can't be done, just be careful. Second, 6" tall cakes are REALLY tall! I did one this weekend (http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1151585) that uses a couple of 6" layers but they really are two 3" layers iced as one with cardboard and doweling inside. Can you do something like this? Besides the fact that the 6" of just cake might be unstable, its going to make for an unmanageable slice. You said this was your first, so I just want to make sure its not your first disaster as well icon_smile.gif

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 8:59pm
post #7 of 21

Whether or not it looks squatty will surey depend on the design............ Is there a pic around of what she wants, or something she likes??

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 9:07pm
post #8 of 21

how about adding a 6" for an anniversary topper. i think that without it , it will definately look too wide and short, but if you add it, it will balance a bit better.

16, 12 ( a four inch diff) and 10 , 6 (another four inch difference) .

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 10:52pm
post #9 of 21

kory, that cake makes me want to CRY, it is so damn beautiful!
and yes, I think if the design is not a bold one with big "shelves", she will have to stack and support taller tiers

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 11:10pm
post #10 of 21
Quote:

Christie

I use 14/10/6 for weddings for 100, which is per the Wilton Wedding Cake chart. Even if you're using 3" pans (as compared to my 2" pans) a "slice" is still a slice, isn't it? How does that work out to 200 servings? Is there a different way to cut a cake that is two 3"-layers as opposed to two 2"-layers?

christielee Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 1:20pm
post #11 of 21

Okay, now I pretty much just freaking out! icon_eek.gif Anyway, it says in the wilton chart, that one 14" by 3" layer serves 78, so two of those should serve 156, right, then two 10" by 3" should serve 76, right? I asked a friend on here, and she told me this was right, and she just did the same cake in square and it came out great! So, I don't know, but now I am doubly nervous! icon_cry.gif

indydebi Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 1:30pm
post #12 of 21

http://www.wilton.com/wedding/cakeinfo/cakedata.cfm

I looked at the chart and you're right .... it showed a one layer 3" cake and a 2-layer 2" cake both serve 78. I can only assume that they are cutting the 3" cake the same as the 2", 2-layer cake.

The surface area is the same.....so if you cut it 1x2x(height), you are going to get the same number of pieces no matter if the cake is 3" tall or 4" tall.

I do a lot of square cakes and I notice the square cake servings work the same way. A 10" square on a 3" cake serves 50.....that means you are cutting the cake into 10 rows x 5 rows ..... the exact same cutting as you do on a 2-layer cake made in 2" pans.

The reason you can double the number of servings if you double the layer is because you are cutting the cake pieces smaller in width (but it's double in height so your guests are getting the same amount of cake - a sheet cake is cut 2x2x2; a 2-layer is cut 1x2x4). If the chart assumes a 1x2x3" cut, then you can't really cut more pieces out of it by making it two layer .... or you'd have to cut it 1/2x2x3.

It would be nice if the charts told you what size piece they are working with, but since they don't, sometimes you just have to do the math.

christielee Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 2:00pm
post #13 of 21

That does make sense, but I don't know how to do a 3 tier cake (this is what they wanted) for 200 people any differently, unless I made sheet cakes to serve too or something, so they might just have to cut small, tall pieces, and I told them if they had to use their top tier, I would make another replica of it on their anniversary. They are having a lot of food, and a big grooms cake too, so hopefully everything will be fine. Thankfully, they are very laid back people, and they keep telling me not to stress over it cause it's no big deal,(even though, I know it is!); they know this is my first wedding cake, but they still want me to do it.

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 2:49pm
post #14 of 21
Quote:

That does make sense, but I don't know how to do a 3 tier cake (this is what they wanted) for 200 people any differently, unless I made sheet cakes to serve too or something, so they might just have to cut small, tall pieces, and I told them if they had to use their top tier, I would make another replica of it on their anniversary. They are having a lot of food, and a big grooms cake too, so hopefully everything will be fine. Thankfully, they are very laid back people, and they keep telling me not to stress over it cause it's no big deal,(even though, I know it is!); they know this is my first wedding cake, but they still want me to do it.

Im having the same deal on Nov 11 they wanted a 3 tiered cake that serves 200 people but want to keep the top , so im making it 14-10-8 and making extras 8in to serve when they start running out of cake they will be decorated like the wedding cake she didnt want a tall cake?? instead of a sheet cake, they have someone else doing the grooms cake, maybe you could just do extra 8in ones??

melysa Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 3:02pm
post #15 of 21

christielee, this is my translation of what was recommended that you do by your friend by stacking 2 each of the 3" tall cakes...

each tier would be two 3" tall cakes right? two 14"s, two 10"s , two 6"s .... so after one 14", place dowels, ice, cardboard, THEN the second 14" , doweled and iced. a 10", doweled, iced, cardboard, another 10", doweled and iced. a 6", doweled, iced, cardboard, another 6"- iced.

each 6"+ tall tier would be cut as if it were two tiers. cut down 3" until you hit cardboard, 2" wide, by 1x thick. so your slices would be 3x2x1. a little shorter, but still a serving. once you are done with the top half of each tier, remove the cardboard and cut the bottom half of each tier. so in reality, this is almost like having a 6 tier cake. its going to be tall. BUT its going to look like a 3 tier cake , simply because for every two tiers, the cakes are the same size.

i may be way off, BUT i think that this is what she meant, and i think- what you had in mind. am i right?

*EDITED CAKE SIZES.

indydebi Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 3:41pm
post #16 of 21

melysa, that is a fabulous idea!!! thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 4:06pm
post #17 of 21

Oh....and ask them how many people they actually invited? For them to expect 200 people to show up, did they really invite 350 people?

SugarBakers05 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 4:26pm
post #18 of 21

Here is an example of the cake the bride wants done, but in 3 tiers for 200 people. http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=47017. Its from a CC member. What do you think, is it nicer as 3 or 4 tiers?

melysa Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 4:57pm
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBakers05

Here is an example of the cake the bride wants done, but in 3 tiers for 200 people. http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=47017. Its from a CC member. What do you think, is it nicer as 3 or 4 tiers?

definately four. when the top tier is so wide (a 10" right? ) it just looks unproportionate. i think you'll be happier if you add another one on top...a six inch would be perfect. did you ask allison what size tiers she used on that ?

melysa Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 4:57pm
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarBakers05

definately four. when the top tier is so wide (a 10" right? ) it just looks unproportionate. i think you'll be happier if you add another one on top...a six inch would be perfect. did you ask allison what size tiers she used on that ?

indydebi, thank you icon_smile.gif

SugarBakers05 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 2:29am
post #21 of 21

Thanks Melysa, I will definately make it 4 tiers thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%