Wrong Wedding Cake - What To Do!?!

Decorating By Mahzooka Updated 30 Oct 2007 , 2:11am by 7yyrt

angelcakes5 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 1:43am
post #61 of 119

I have to write something because I am sitting here reading some of these posts and I am really upset especially when people state its just a cake. Come on people this is our passion or hobby or job. Don't some of these cake decoraters that belong to CC get angry when people want to pay less for all their hard work and say its just a cake. I don't care if the people ate it I think it would have been more ruined to say ok no one can eat this cake, thats just plain ignorant, what would you think if you went to the wedding and they didn't serve it. Ya it might have looked like the cake they want but I am sure she was devastated it wasn't the right kind. Look how much money goes into these weddings and to just blow this off I don't think so and especially that she probably paid alot for this. I just don't understand the comments on here. Yes she should be refunded I beleive for partial and get the free anniversary cake. Yes being married to the man of your dreams with your family present is important, but all these other things are so important for their special day, they want everything to be perfect.

tasteebakes Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 1:41am
post #62 of 119

Whoops! Posted before I got to Mahzooka's reply.
Mahzooka I hope you can see how many decorators completely agreed with you and can allow everyone their opinions on this subject.
This is a wonderful community from whom you asked an opinion of.

midwestmommy Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 1:43am
post #63 of 119

The cake ruined her wedding?

It was decorated right, but the wrong flavors. It was served and eaten.

I think she should first see what the baker offers her. I think it would be fair to be refunded 50% since it was only 1/2 right.

The baker should give her a new anniversary cake..like it was supposed to be.

MichelleM77 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 1:47am
post #64 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt1714

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfie

If the decorator made the cake then the culpability lies with the decorator. If the cake was made by the baker and then given to the decorator, then it will be the baker. Most decorators are NOT bakers and vice versa. I have met some splended decorators that do much better work than I do but couldn't bake a cake if you held a spatula to their neck.



most aren't both? dunno about that - who is the world gets prebaked cakes to decorate? maybe some, not many. Different people in a single bakery, sure, but the whole cake typcially comes from one source.




Most grocery store bakeries (at least the one I worked in) and I'm sure other retail store-type bakeries have cake bakers and cake decorators....just like on Ace of Cakes. Granted, the cake decorator should have double checked the order form, so there are a few people who could be blamed for this.

My father lost a job because on the same night he forgot to put a back-up CD in the computer at night, the night shift guy did something stupid and the computer crashed and all the info was lost. He didn't make the computer crash mistake, but he forgot to put in the back-up CD, so he was the one who got canned.

Kitagrl Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 1:56am
post #65 of 119

I agree its nothing to have a hissy fit over...

However...as one who has to keep to a budget, I understand that it is not a small thing to spend $500 and up on a cake. When you spend that kind of money, you really do kind of expect to get what you ordered.

I mean you spend a minimum of that five hundred bucks and your mouth is watering for some decadent fudge cake and you get....white with fruit filling? Yeah I can see how it would be upsetting.

She shouldn't have a 'tude about it but she definitely should get at least half her money back. Half the cake is decoration and half is flavor...so she should get the flavor half back IMHO. I mean we aren't talking "Oops I put raspberry instead of strawberry filling", we are talking about rich fudge vs some kind of summery light flavored cake. That's a big mistake for a big purchase.

If it had been me I would have been upset but then I probably would have been happy to have a reason to get a refund and more to spend on the honeymoon. icon_cool.gif

LisaMH Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 1:57am
post #66 of 119

I think this is between the bride and her decorator. All people are different and have to decide what is best for them.
My story...I majored in Music Ed in college. Majored in Flute and Minored in Harp.
When I finally got married at the ripe old age of 28 the only thing I cared about was the music. My Uncle is a Flutist and and I hired a Pro Harpist, gave them the music and said "Godspeed". They got together and practiced and had great fun.
On my wedding day the Harpist had her pedals set wrong and clinked and clunked all over that poor harp and finally quit altogether. My Uncle "brought it on home' solo, we were pronounced Husband and Wife, and the wedding was over. 20 minutes of my life.
That poor thing packed up that Harp and booked so fast we didn't even see her (she was soooo embarassed).
My beloved and I got to the reception and didn't get any food (my hog like relatives had taken care of that).
We had plenty of cake and champagne. I married the greatest guy in the Universe and we partied hearty. Heck, we had a sugar buzz and a champagne buzz going.
The next day I called the Harpist and THANKED her very much for her service. I think I genuinely stunned her. I know how awful she felt and I'm sure she was waiting for some fall out. I gave her NONE.
WOW...am I a CLASSY BROAD!!!!!!!!!!!
All that mattered in the end was me and the man sitting in the lazy boy 5 feet from me as I type who love each other more every minute.
Some people are born to raise a fit and others put things in perspective and let them go.
I hope this happens for the parties involved here.
If the bride calls wanting a refund you give it to her. I hope she has more class than that. A great cake (even the "wrong one") is a thing of glory to be appreciated for the art that it is.

GenGen Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 2:07am
post #67 of 119

yes it is our passion our hobby and our livelyhood but keep in mind it is Just a cake. its not our family its not our loved ones its not what keeps us going etc. its not going to make or break our daily lives and loves. and i think i'm done reading lol.. the proverbial horse has been most thoroughly tenderized by now.. if i'm confusing anyone basicaly we're beating a dead horse here as the saying goes.

have a lovely week.. i'm sure there's sunshine some where ! send some! icon_smile.gif best wishes!

SweetResults Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 2:17am
post #68 of 119

If you ordered a dress with a low cut back, full length to the floor with a beaded top - in white and it showed up in RED you would be given a refund or the correct dress. You would not say, oh well, the STYLE is correct, it's just the wrong color.

She ordered and paid for a certain cake, she could not get a replacement in time for the ceremony, she deserves a refund - if only because it's NOT WHAT SHE ORDERED!!!

And I don't blame her for being upset - also, let's remember here folks - "ruined my night" is a figure of speech lots of people used. I'm sure she was upset (and she had every right to be - again - it was NOT what she PAID for) but I am also equally sure that she was still happy with her new hubby and dancing the night away.

I hated my cake - it was not what I ordered - it tasted great - I was not happy about it - I never called the caterer to complain. I regret that to this day 11 years later. I don't lie awake nights thinking about it, but since I never let them know I was not happy I never got it off my chest and I have never been able to fully let it go. I am not still upset about it, I just still think about it sometimes. I just wish I had let them know that they did not decorate it the way I asked and I've always wanted to know what happened to the giant buckets of flowers I provided them with to place on the cake. Again, did not ruin my life - it's just still there in the back of my mind, and since I deal in cakes, it pops to the front every once in awhile.

I did not want anything from them other than answers, but I just never asked. Make sure your cousin asks what happened so she can have closure. You never know what kind of silly thing sticks in your head, go for closure and at the very least a partial refund and corrected anniversary cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahzooka

Thanks for your opinions - I'm sorry I actually posted here as I just got done reading how most of you really 'jumped' all over my cousin for getting upset over her cake. Let me tell you - it was her and her new husband that were upset. We helped them move on and enjoy the rest of the time, but it was not the same. I'm sorry no one thinks a bride can be "overly emotional" about something she planned and wanted perfect on her special day. Sheesh.. won't be posting here again.




And hey - don't get all snippy about the posts telling your cousin to "get over it". There are just as many of us, if not more, saying otherwise and agreeing with you. You asked for opinions and you are getting them, it's not personal. We treat each other as family here and families don't always get along or agree, but they always welcome each other and support each other. You have to be able to agree to disagree here - it's a pretty darn big community here and we are all lucky to have each other. If you choose not to post again, well that's just a shame, you will certainly be missing out. I'd suggesting rethinking that. It's worth it to be here.

Karabear1125 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 2:25am
post #69 of 119
Quote:
Quote:

If it had been me I would have been upset but then I probably would have been happy to have a reason to get a refund and more to spend on the honeymoon




Me too! lol icon_biggrin.gif

tdybear1978 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 2:25am
post #70 of 119

I would hate to say that the flavor of a cake would or should ruin someones wedding day, however, weddings are so stressful for brides these days and so much planning goes into them and I can understand being a little more then upset if I cut into a cake and it was wrong, especially if it were a flavor that I did not like. I would say at least go for 1/2 the money back and maybe the decorator would be mortified enough to do more, I know I would be.

FrostinGal Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 2:53am
post #71 of 119

A contract is a contract. If the contract stated chocolate Kaluha, then she should have gotten chocolate Kaluha. I really like the red dress analogy.
I would ask for a full refund. The order was wrong. Period. The cake is an entity. It's not like the buffet where you can say, well, the meat was wrong, but the potatoes were good... All parts of a cake work together to create an artistic and gastronomic experience. An experience that the bride and groom have chosen to compliment their event, and their menu.
Even though I am now a hobbyist, I still have a contract, because good fences make for good friends and neighbors. I must refer to it a million times when I am doing a wedding cake! If I made such a mistake, nothing less than a full refund would do, if it was not what they ordered.
As a consumer, I'd feel uncomfortable getting a free cake from someone who has a beef with me. I've heard too many tales from the bakery folks who used to work for other restaurants, caterers, etc. It would stand your hair on end!

CarolAnn Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 2:57am
post #72 of 119

No it shouldn't ruin the reception and I think NOW that I sure wouldn't have let it ruin mine. Of course I can say that 38 years later. It's pretty easy for us to sit back and say "well she sure shouldn't have let it ruin her whole reception!" Uh yah, easy for us to say. But the fact is she DID order 3 tiers of chocolate-kahlua cake with chocolate fudge filling. The lady wanted ALL chocolate cake for her wedding and she GOT white. Obviously she is serious about her chocolate. I'd say she better have gotten a picture of the cut cake and calmly take it to the decorator and see what he/she is going to do about it. I think she ought to get a good (at least 50%) refund AND a free 1st anniversary cake in the right flavors. It's the least the decorator can do. If
not this could damage her reputation/business, because either way the bride will probably tell others about it. Better for her to tell them what happened and how it was made up to her than that the decorator said "so sorry" and did nothing.

lionladydi Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 5:44am
post #73 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahzooka

Thanks for your opinions - I'm sorry I actually posted here as I just got done reading how most of you really 'jumped' all over my cousin for getting upset over her cake. Let me tell you - it was her and her new husband that were upset. We helped them move on and enjoy the rest of the time, but it was not the same. I'm sorry no one thinks a bride can be "overly emotional" about something she planned and wanted perfect on her special day. Sheesh.. won't be posting here again.




You know, Mahzooka, I can't say that I blame you for being so upset. The more I have thought about this, the more I think the bride had every reason to be upset. If someone missed providing me with my chocolate fix I probably would have been ready to kill. icon_lol.gif

New case scenario: Photographer develops the pictures. "OOPS! Sorry," he says, "I thought had colored film in the camera. It was black and white." Gee, it's only pictures.............she should "get over it."

I know we all have the right to voice our opinions here but sometimes I don't think we take into consideration how deeply People can feel about certain things.

As for thinking she should just be happy that nothing else went wrong, maybe several things had and this was the final straw. I'm sure that the cake won't ruin her marriage.....but it did put a damper on her wedding.

Again, JMO.

Diane

BCJean Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 6:54am
post #74 of 119

Come on, who are we to say what she should or should not get upset about. It would have bothered me lots if a mistake like that was made. I personally try not to let anything ruin an entire event for me. I would want a full refund on it though. I guess it is great that she had a nice looking cake for the photographs, however every time she looks at them she will be remembering the inside of the cake wasn't right. I can't see getting a free cake for your first anniversary with the correct flavor as being a solution to anything. The idea of saving the top tier is that it was from your wedding cake. Having the bakery make a new one a year later would hardly be the same thing and I think it would be a reminder of that fateful wedding cake which was not right.
Comparing the cake to human tragedies which are worse doesn't make sense to me either. The human tragedies can't be helped the cake was a mistake that should not have happened. Yes, if one of her relatives had died at the reception I am sure that would have been worse for her than the wrong kind of cake. That didn't happen. Are we not to ever be upset over a mistake because worse things could happen.
This was to be her perfect wedding, the cake was not what she ordered and paid for. I think she should get a full refund. I think she had a right to be upset.
I think we as decorators should take a lesson from this, every detail of those wedding cakes is important, there can be no errors. It isn't just cake...it is a part of their wedding and will be remembered forever. Because someone wasn't putting their all into that cake a bride could not enjoy her reception.

angelcakes5 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 11:57am
post #75 of 119

I like what you said lionladydi regarding the photos. A friend of mine got married a couple years ago and the very well know expensive photographer in the area did the pictures. Well after the wedding he realized he didn't put film in the camera that he used at the wedding. So what would you do in that case?? I would be pretty ticked off. She had some pictures but not alot. And couldn't go back to the church because of another wedding.

I am glad there were more posts with people that agree that she should be upset about this, it makes me feel a lot better today after reading through.

jibbies Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 12:22pm
post #76 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahzooka

Thanks for your opinions - I'm sorry I actually posted here as I just got done reading how most of you really 'jumped' all over my cousin for getting upset over her cake. Let me tell you - it was her and her new husband that were upset. We helped them move on and enjoy the rest of the time, but it was not the same. I'm sorry no one thinks a bride can be "overly emotional" about something she planned and wanted perfect on her special day. Sheesh.. won't be posting here again.



Sweet Results Wrote
And hey - don't get all snippy about the posts telling your cousin to "get over it". There are just as many of us, if not more, saying otherwise and agreeing with you. You asked for opinions and you are getting them, it's not personal. We treat each other as family here and families don't always get along or agree, but they always welcome each other and support each other. You have to be able to agree to disagree here - it's a pretty darn big community here and we are all lucky to have each other. If you choose not to post again, well that's just a shame, you will certainly be missing out. I'd suggesting rethinking that. It's worth it to be here.

You asked for opinions, and that's what we gave, Were you expecting everyone to agree with you?

Jibbies

ge978 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 12:18pm
post #77 of 119

The groom not showin up = ruined wedding
Show up at reception and no food, drink or music people show up = ruined wedding reception
Getting caught in the pouring down rain in my wedding dress & makeup smearing down my face right before the wedding = ruined wedding pictures
Getting the wrong flavor of cake = mild disappointment
I agree she's owed a partial refund and maybe a new anniversary cake. Thats it!

Mahzooka : you have to expect other opinions when you post here..thats the whole point. You are never going to find in a large group of people that everyone will share your point of view.

hottub Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 12:39pm
post #78 of 119

ditto jibbies...and then some...

Iheartcake Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 12:49pm
post #79 of 119

I can see how Mahzooka would be upset.. she originally posted to get an opinion on how the bride should handle the situation.. not an opinion on the Bride's reaction. And since she probably was not expecting people to comment on the bride's reaction, it would hurt and be upsetting hearing negative things about a loved on. I think we can all agree we don't like hearing negative things about the people we love. I do agree that everyone is titled to an opinion, and this community is wonderful in so many ways thumbs_up.gif however on this one, I think it got off topic. The issue is with the cake.. not the bride's reaction.

step0nmi Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 1:14pm
post #80 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iheartcake

I can see how Mahzooka would be upset.. she originally posted to get an opinion on how the bride should handle the situation.. not an opinion on the Bride's reaction. And since she probably was not expecting people to comment on the bride's reaction, it would hurt and be upsetting hearing negative things about a loved on. I think we can all agree we don't like hearing negative things about the people we love. I do agree that everyone is titled to an opinion, and this community is wonderful in so many ways thumbs_up.gif however on this one, I think it got off topic. The issue is with the cake.. not the bride's reaction.


Yes, that is what I was thinking! Nicely said!

SweetResults Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 1:11pm
post #81 of 119

Iheartcake - the thing that bothered me was - because a few people did not agree with the reaction of the bride, she is ready to write off the entire community. She chose to focus on those people who did not agree and not those of us who agreed that they would be upset as well.

Part of the issue with the cake was the bride's reaction. If it had not upset her then Mahzooka would not have posted. Some people felt that the answer to the problem was to not let it bother her - now that's not MY answer (I'd want a FULL refund), but to someone else it was a valid response to the question, so I don't really feel it was off topic.

You are exactly right that we don't like hearing negative things about the people we love - that's why I did not like the comment about not posting here anymore because of someone's reaction. I love this community. icon_wink.gif

Cakepro Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 1:27pm
post #82 of 119

It's so funny and so predictable how these threads twist and turn...someone posts something, some people agree, some people disagree, some people try to analyze and rephrase what the original poster really was trying to say, others go on to analyze what other respondents have said, the original poster gets pissed and says she's never coming back here because she didn't get the support she wanted, others criticize her reaction, others beg her to stay, other chastise others for posting their opinions which pissed off the OP, and then a bunch of people say how much they love CC.

LMAO

Elizabeth19 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 1:48pm
post #83 of 119

Cakepro- LOL

Ok, am I the only one curious to know how everything turned out? I keep checking on this one just to see the end result (which Im sure has a happy ending). Tell us, what happened?!

kaciealexa Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 1:50pm
post #84 of 119

IMHO , but.. if the bride allowed that mix up to completely ruin her wedding reception, she has a lot of growing up to do..

my mother told me before my wedding that 'there will be things today that won't go as you planned them, they won't be because of anybody's intent to ruin your day, life just sometimes happens, you will probably be the only one who even notices, let nothing and nobody ruin this day".

i would certainly give the bride a partial refund......

this young bride will someday realize that in the grand scheme of things, it is just after all 'a cake'. hopefully she will never have to bury a child, or a spouse, lose a home to fire or flood, ect., to know how a dream can be "completely ruined'.

SweetResults Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 2:28pm
post #85 of 119

Cakepro you are so right!! And this time I am one of the guilty party LOL!

I was just reading on a rough night last night - couldn't keep my big yap shut!

I too would love to hear what finally happend icon_biggrin.gif

CarolAnn Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 3:01pm
post #86 of 119

Cakepro.........well said! Thank you! It happens all the time.

DEBBIE157 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 2:54pm
post #87 of 119

In this day and age, when it is so hard to find the right person.... the cake, although important, is not the end of the world.

It showed up, it looked nice. Wrong flavor. ok, disappointing, but if that 'ruins' your wedding, you need a reality check.

Now if someone plowed into the cake and knocked it onto the floor, or like a story last week, where a drunk lady ran her fingers thru it... that might rate higher points on 'ruin' the wedding.

My wedding: The priest was late for the rehearsal, so we 'rehearsed' with the secretary for 10 minutes. Therefore, the ceremony had the music wrong. My rehearsal dinner was in a room that was a pathway to other rooms; we had people walking thru. Then the photographers got lost on the way to the reception. We had to start without them. We had no air conditioning in the limo, on a 90+ day. The grooms brother went to the wrong reception, and showed up 2 hours late.

Did any of that 'ruin' my wedding? NO WAY. I married an awesome man, and it had taken me *SEVEN YEARS* to find him.

Fairy tale weddings are not realistic. Life is hard. It's not a fairy tale.

DEBBIE157 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 2:59pm
post #88 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaciealexa

this young bride will someday realize that in the grand scheme of things, it is just after all 'a cake'. hopefully she will never have to bury a child, or a spouse, lose a home to fire or flood, ect., to know how a dream can be "completely ruined'.




Couldn't agree more.

turtlemom Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 4:59pm
post #89 of 119

man, I didnt even get a piece of my wedding cake, couldnt even tell you what flavor it was but everyone ate it and loved it so it must have been good!
I hope she calls and gets a refund of some sort!

diane Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 5:21pm
post #90 of 119

i'll tell you something...if this were to go to small claims court, the bride would get every penny of her money back. if she signed a contract and in the contract it specifically stated the design and flavor of the cake and that wasn't delivered, then the bride would be entitled to a full refund. how do i know this...well a little too much of judge judy! icon_lol.gificon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%