Will A Mud Cake Stay Fresh For 7 Days?

Decorating By bakerchick Updated 23 Oct 2007 , 2:32pm by aswartzw

bakerchick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerchick Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 7:13pm
post #1 of 7

Hi all
i have had a rather peculiar request , i've been asked to make a wedding cake for 40 in chocolate mud, dark inside with white ganash on the outside - no biggie right? But it needs to be picked up 7 days ahead of the actual wedding. my question is should this cake be frozen after it's picked up or could it crack? or if it's left in the fridge - can it be left in the fridge for a week? they just want the plain cake and they are going to get a florist to do the flowers for it on the day. I'm not real keen on the idea of doing a cake so far in advance, have any of you had any similar experience? any help would be great.
thanks in advance
bakerchick

6 replies
bakerchick Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 11:13pm
post #2 of 7

anyone out there.......anyone at all?

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 11:07pm
post #3 of 7

If this was my cake, I would require it to be frozen and kept frozen until it is thawed in the fridge the night before.

Otherwise you risk a cake that is not edible.

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 11:32pm
post #4 of 7

I know if it's covered in fondant, it would keep longer than a week but ganache, I'm not so sure.. I would probably freeze it,well wrapped icon_smile.gif

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 11:32pm
post #5 of 7

I agree with Joann. It needs to be frozen and since it's plain that helps out even more. Place it in the freezer for a bit to set up the frosting on it and take it out and wrap it with saran wrap and foil or the freezer wrap. I would also place it in a box just to keep them from bumping it. Give them directions attached to the cake box that tells them to remove it from the freezer and place it in the fridge the night before the wedding. Once it's defrosted, they can unwrap it and it will be set for the party.

bakerchick Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 12:42am
post #6 of 7

Thanks for the info, I thought freezing would be better, Just 1 final question does anyone have a link to a supermoist mud cake? my thinking is perhaps this would help the cake not dry out so much if it's in the freezer for so long.
thanks again everyone for your help.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 2:32pm
post #7 of 7

Don't worry about it drying out. A cake properly wrapped will keep for at least a month in a freezer with absolutley no problem to it. I like to wrap twice in saran wrap and once in freezer wrap and top that with foil. You don't need to do this much but I don't take any chances. Plus, make sure the freezer doesn't smell too much. If it's properly wrapped, it should keep most odors out but I wouldn't like to take any chances.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%