Warning About Using Egg Cartons!

Decorating By maryindublin Updated 22 Oct 2007 , 6:44pm by aswartzw

maryindublin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryindublin Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 6:27pm
post #1 of 2

Just in case someone might not know this: Salmonella is carried on the shell of the egg, so when using egg cartons to shape flowers, etc, be careful! I personally wouldn't take the chance, but if you do, I would use the foam kind, not the cardboard kind and I would spray it well with bleach water (1 capfull of bleach to 1 gallon of water) and let dry, then use saran wrap or something as a barrier between the carton and the flower. I would just hate to see someone get sick from your beautiful creations! Sorry for the panic, I lurk, never post, but have been reading a lot of posts about the use of egg cartons and just couldn't let it go without saying something. I'm a personal chef so I had to learn a lot about food safety. I love CC, you're all so creative, talented and kind! icon_biggrin.gif

1 reply
aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 6:44pm
post #2 of 2

Thanks for the info. I was reading the other day about salmonella on the egg shell is what usually is the result in poisoning so it's recommended to throw eggs into boiling water for a few seconds to eliminate salmonella coming in contact with the egg whites.

I'm scared of SMBC for this reason but would be less scared of doing it after boiling the shells.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%