Cake Extender

Baking By dandelion56602 Updated 22 Oct 2007 , 8:04pm by diamond008

dandelion56602 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 4:56pm
post #1 of 10

Just wondering what it is & how it works. All I've found in searches is people asking about it, but I've seen it mentioned in posts & wondering if there is a recipe for it or if that just means adding sour cream, pudding, or jello, etc?

Would just like as much info as possible. icon_biggrin.gif

9 replies
DanielleHester Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 5:10pm
post #2 of 10

Here is the recipe I use and I use it with the Pillsbury cake mix.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1599-Enhanced-Cake-Formula.html

Peg2665 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 5:25pm
post #3 of 10

A cake extender is ingredients added to a box mix that stretches (or extends) the recipe to yield more batter. Most produce enough batter for 3, 9x2 inch layers. Hope that was helpful.

aztomcat Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 5:37pm
post #4 of 10

Also the extender makes the cakes slightly denser and taste more like homemade. I'm an extender convert and will never make a cake without it.

dandelion56602 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 6:58pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleHester

So can you use it with any cake mix flavor?

dandelion56602 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 6:58pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleHester

So can you use it with any cake mix flavor?

DanielleHester Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 7:47pm
post #7 of 10

I'm not sure. I have only tried it with the white cake mix. I don't see why you couldn't though.

KonfectionKonnection Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 7:58pm
post #8 of 10

I will often use one of the extender recipes. It helps to have plenty of cake so that I feel more comfortable leveling my cakes. (I always worried before that if I leveled them, they would be too skinny.) Or if I need just a bit more, like for a 9" or 10" cake.

It also makes just a slight difference in the texture, which I really like. Maybe just a little bit denser.

Also, it can help with the flavor. A good resource might be the Cake Mix Doctor book (as well as many great recipes here on CC). She lists simple ingredients to add to mixes that enhance the flavor/texture also.

cwcopeland Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 8:00pm
post #9 of 10

I used basically the same extender this weekend. You are supposed to use whatever flavor you want, devils food, strawberry, etc. I only had a white cake mix and wanted chcolate so I added a cup of cocoa. It was really good.

I love extenders. I doubt I'll ever go back either.

diamond008 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 8:04pm
post #10 of 10

The 2 cake extender recipes I use are on the cc site under recipes. The first for yellow/white is by Lilscakes and the other one for chocolate is by candy120 it is a cake extender 2. I use Duncan Hines cake mix most of the time but I'm sure you can use these extenders with others too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%