Mailing Cakes

Decorating By slopokesgirl Updated 31 Oct 2007 , 3:43am by summernoelle

slopokesgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slopokesgirl Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 4:34pm
post #1 of 10

I know it is possible to deliver cakes all around the world because I have seen the deliver requests for different cake making companies. How is it done? Any ideas? icon_confused.gif

9 replies
thedessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thedessertdiva Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 10

Not cake related, but I tried finding out how to ship sugar flowers (fresh flowers, candied), since I do these allot, and I am hitting "Trade Secret" walls ALL OVER.

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 5:02pm
post #3 of 10

There is only one safe and sure way to ship a decorated cake and that is by "Counter to Counter" service via the airlines.

You deliver the cake to the person working the airline counter located in the cargo area of the airport. This person hand carries the cake onto a secured area inside the plane where it is then flown off to its destination to be hand carried to the counter where the recipient will pick it up.

A very frozen non-decorated or single layer decorated cake can be shipped next day air using dry ice in a styro container with a tight fitting lid. You would obviously risk some decorations such as attached fondant flowers being jarred loose during handling.

The safest surest way is counter to counter service via the airlines.

HTH's icon_smile.gif

slopokesgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slopokesgirl Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 6:45pm
post #4 of 10

Any idea how much something like that would cost? icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif

Teekakes Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 9:09pm
post #5 of 10

No, I sure don't. Not yet anyway that is. Just call the airlines, tell them what you are wanting to do and ask for a price. They will ask you what the apx size and weight of what you would be shipping. I have shipped several times Counter to Counter service with Continental Airlines because they had the lowest fares for what I was shipping.........it wasn't cake. Anyway, what I was shipping cost 113.00 and it was lighter than most cakes would be but probably as big as a two tiered cake in size.
They may even have some information for you on their website.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 9:27pm
post #6 of 10

i know Mikes amazing cakes deliver cakes...I wonder how!

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 9:29pm
post #7 of 10

i've done it before on a single tiered fondant covered cake, lots and lots of bubble wrap, mid winter and a usps flat rate priority box . it was mailed to a neighboring state so i knew it wouldnt take more than a couple of days, but it arrived in perfect condition. i used non perishable bc.

Teekakes Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 9:37pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Counter to Counter via airlines when they are out of driving distance. Of this I am sure.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 7:15pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teekakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Counter to Counter via airlines when they are out of driving distance. Of this I am sure.

Sounds expensive! icon_surprised.gif

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 31 Oct 2007 , 3:43am
post #10 of 10

I am very very late to this conversation, but hopefully someone will still answer!
Someone wants me to ship a 1 tiered fondant cake from TX to CA. Any advice? Should I have her pay for the quickest shipping? And should I have her sign a contract saying that I am not responsible for shipping damage?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%