Need Advice On Fbt,anyone Ever Use This?

Decorating By jackie64 Updated 23 Oct 2007 , 6:07pm by RRGibson

jackie64 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:04pm
post #1 of 7

I am doing a fire engine cake due this saturday I have my image and I was considering using the icing you can buy in the metal cans at the grocery store because trying to get red and black well you all know about that . Has anyone ever used them before with a FBT ? I would be very interested in knowing how they turn out before I go out and buy them . Thanks Jackie icon_smile.gif

6 replies
awolf24 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 7

I would be very cautious using them - they are very soft if I remember correctly so I do not think they would work well for a frozen transfer. Do you have access to Americolor gel colors? My husband is a fire fighter and I've done TONS of red and black decorations, including FBCTs. Americolor super red and super black cannot be beat - they are great. You can check out my photos for examples.

Good luck! icon_smile.gif

lanibird Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 5:39pm
post #3 of 7

I agree with awolf24, they might not freeze right. I guess the best way to find out would be to get one, throw a blob on some wax paper or cling wrap and pop it in the freezer and see how well it really freezes.

BTW, love your b-day! thumbs_up.gif Hooray for Taurus!

jackie64 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 12:42am
post #4 of 7

I have a can of black lanibird I will try it and let you know how it turns out . Cool birthdate lanibird thumbs_up.gif

lanibird Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 3:43pm
post #5 of 7

Awesome! Now you can do the experiment, and not spend any extra $$.

Looking forward to the results! icon_lol.gif

diane Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 5:48pm
post #6 of 7

i'm curious...why can't you make your own black and red icing?? icon_confused.gif
to do black, start out by adding some hershey's unsweetened cocoa powder. let it sit for a few minutes then add some black gel color and let that sit. the icing gets darker the longer it sits. i would use a lot of cocoa powder to get it a dark chocolate that way you don't have to add so much black. with red...start out with pink, then add a dab of orange. let it sit and then add no-taste red. this has always worked for me. check out my betty boop and soccerball cakes...those were made with red and black icing.
hope this helps!! icon_smile.gif

RRGibson Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 6:07pm
post #7 of 7

I've actually used the red before for a FBCT. I was doing a cake for a coworker and she bought the supplies and that's what she picked up. It worked fine. It's the Elmo cake in my photos. It's not perfect, it was my first one, but the icing was fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%