Sunflowerzs Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:59pm
post #1 of

I keep seeing posts about dyeing coconut, but noooo instruction how to achieve this. ANY HELP IS APPRICIATED!!!

10 replies
aswartzw Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:02pm
post #2 of

Just drop in some color and mix. thumbs_up.gif

JenWith Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:03pm
post #3 of

I've never dyed coconut but I'm going to guess that you would toss it (or stir it) in a bowl with a few drops of gel paste?? I can't think of a "special" process to do.

Maybe someone who has done it will have a different method.

dogwalkin Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:03pm
post #4 of

Every Easter I make a Easter Bunny cake that is covered with coconut. I just put coconut in a bowl and mix in a few drops of food coloring and then mix it well. I'm not sure if it will affect buttercream icing. On that particular cake I cover it with cool whip and then the coconut, but the coloring doesn't seep into the cool whip.

HTH!

woodthi32 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:06pm
post #5 of

Better to put it in a large ziploc, and mash it around with your hands. Color is more even, and you won't get it on your hands.............

woodthi32 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:07pm
post #6 of

you can also try adding a little lemon extract to the bag too to thin the color a bit............

Sunflowerzs Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:21pm
post #7 of

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!!! I was not sure if you need to add water or oil or anything. I will try the lemon juice and ziplock bag!!!
Thanks!!!

woodthi32 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:28pm
post #8 of

I think a LITTLE extract may be better than juice!!!! I think Juice will make it WET!!!! NO JUICE!!!

Danielle111 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:28pm
post #9 of

I've always put the coconut in a ziplock bag, added powdered food coloring and shaken it around for a while. Hope this helps!

Ladivacrj Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:36pm

I have colored it without using any liquid, I think it would make it too wet and make the color run.

Put it in a bowl or bag add the color and either shake or stir.

hth

-Tubbs Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 8:54pm

I've also done this with with a large, clean mayonnaise jar. You can really give it a good shake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%