White Velvet Cutout Cookies From Recipezaar ?

Baking By JenWith Updated 22 Oct 2007 , 8:16pm by JenWith

JenWith Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:57pm
post #1 of 6

I am making cross cookies for my niece's christening in a couple of weeks and I thought what a perfect opportunity to try a new sugar/cutout cookie. I made the White Velvet cutout cookie dough from Recipezaar (http://www.recipezaar.com/48000) Saturday night and I TRIED to roll and cut out the cookies yesterday afternoon. It was so SOFT. So I cut a few out, got mad icon_mad.gif, wrapped all the dough back up and stuck it in my freezer for another time. I didn't want to fight with it. I ended up making a half batch of NFSC dough yesterday afternoon instead since I know how that will turn out.

My question is, has anyone used or made this recipe before and did they find it very soft to work with?? I will hold on to the dough I already made for when I'm just making cookies for my husband and daughter and want to mess around with new cutters.

Just wondering if I did something wrong or if the recipe itself is wrong... ??

5 replies
OKCMOOSE Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:15pm
post #2 of 6

Hello I have used this recipe several times and I do love the taste but it is a pain to work with.. I sit the dough in the fridge until it is firm then take out a chunk at a time and rolled it between 2 pieces of wax paper then place it in the freezer until it is almost frozen..Then cookie cutter it and bake it.. It is more work than the NFSC but everyone I have made them for likes the tastes a whole lot better... Oh you dont wait until they turn brown because they dont when they are done.. If they are brown they are over cooked...Hope that helps you out.

all4cake Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:16pm
post #3 of 6

I've never made it before. I did just look at the recipe and it seems like it has a high amount of fat for the flour and then the cream cheese.

They sound buttery good.

Could you use the technique for rolling as stated with the NFSC?

JenWith Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:54pm
post #4 of 6

Ah. I didn't think of rolling and then freezing and then cutting. I went from fridge (small chunk), rolling, cutting and swearing! LOL. Thanks OKCMOOSE! I will give that extra step a shot. I want this dough to work since I made a whole batch of it! Since you have made it before, does it taste like cream cheese after it's baked? I tasted the raw dough and while it does taste fine, it smells very "cream cheesy" and has a hint of cream cheese in the taste.

The method for rolling NFSC is all I do now since I don't have to mess with flour or whatever. Less mess. I go through a lot of parchment paper but I try to "recycle" it when I can.

countrycakes Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 7:04pm
post #5 of 6

icon_smile.gif I made some Fall ones for a sampler tray.....they do taste so good! But they are a PAIN to work with...I too had to work with small amounts of dough...but they are so good! icon_smile.gif

They do cut and hold their shape better when they are almost frozen...

JenWith Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 8:16pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks countrycakes! I am feeling better knowing others have made and used the dough and found it hard to work with like I did.

Quote by @%username% on %date%