Cookie Bouquet Pricing?

Baking By cookingfor5 Updated 23 Oct 2007 , 1:26am by sweetreasures

cookingfor5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookingfor5 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 1:25pm
post #1 of 8

I made my first cookie bouquet for fun and was asked how much I would charge for it. It includes 5 cookies, and I haven't decided, but assume I would get a container for $1.00 or $2.00. Nothing expensive. I live in a small town, so I can't charge too much. I don't think anyone around sells them, so I don't have to worry too much about what anyone else charges.

Anyone else in a small town have ideas. I told my hubby I would probably charge about $20 and he was surprised. It's funny because neither of us would spend money on something like this, but people keep telling me to sell them. I'm still having a hard time pricing everything.

7 replies
GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 5:30pm
post #2 of 8

It sounds like you have a good handle on what to charge. Most everyone on here that sells cookies goes with $1 per inch. It seems high, until you figure out how time-consuming decorating cookies can be!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 5:44pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by meiganlove

I live in a small town, so I can't charge too much. I don't think anyone around sells them, so I don't have to worry too much about what anyone else charges.

First, living in a small town has nothing to do with how much you are worth. Whether a doctor lives in a town of 500,000 or 500 they are still worth the same $100/hr.

Second, if you don't have competition then your right you don't have to worry what others are charging, you can charge the right amount.

To answer your question I charge $1/inch. If each one is individually wrapped add another $1 per cookie. My standard containers are $1 a piece so I charge an addtional $5 for the assembly of the boquet.

Most of my cookies in boquets are 4in so I will use that as the example here.
5 cookies @ 4" = $20
Each coookie Indivicually wrapped = $5
Boquet Assembly = $5
Total = $30

Now this only includes 3 colors on the cookies.

HTH

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 5:50pm
post #4 of 8

First ......

Do. Not. Ever. base your pricing on what YOU would pay. You are using yourself, your budget, your income to determine what OTHER people make, what THEIR spending habits are, what THEIR spending limitations are. And you just can't do that.

20 years ago, a friend of mine was SHOCKED that hubby and I spent $150 on dinner for two. She would NEVER pay that much "just for dinner". Fortunately for us, the restaurant didn't base their business plan on the assumption that everyone has the same views on money and spending that she does; that everyone has the same income and disposable income that she does. Fortunately for us, this restaurant realized there were poeple like us who were willing to spend it.

Second: Do not just assume you can "pick up a container" for a dollar or two. YOu also have the stryrofoam base to push the sticks into, the tissue paper you might want to stuff around the base, any plastic bags that you may want to wrap each cookie in and/or the big bag to set the whole container into. This stuff is going to cost you more than "a dollar or two".

Third: Doing these cookies takes quite a bit of time. Do you have a minimum? Or are you going to fire up your oven and buy the container for a 6-cookie bouquet that you are only going to get ten or fifteen bucks for? There's a REASON Cookies by Design charges $75 for their bouquets. They take time. In reference to the costs and the price: "It is what it is."

Is there ANYBODY in your area that does these cookies? If not, then you are the supply in the supply-n-demand equation! You're in the driver's seat! Check the internet and see where the closest Cookies by Design shop is located. If you have one within an hour, then you definitely need to price in their price range.

Stop using the "I live in a small town" line as a reason to undercharge. I grew up in small towns. People in small towns drive Cadillacs and 4-wheel drive trucks, and name brand expensive shoes. They buy Omaha Steaks thru the internet and own riding lawn mowers (and have you priced THOSE things lately!). THere are people who will pay a quality price for a quality product. If you are always apologizing for your pricing....if you can't see the value in your product .... then how do you expect them to?

(And honestly, husbands are the last ones to give an opinion on this stuff! When we got married, hubby honestly thought you could get a 3 tiered wedding cake for thirty bucks. They just have no idea.)

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 8:42pm
post #5 of 8

Work out exactly what your costs are. You might be surprised at how it all adds up. Even include things that you don't buy very often, like food colour. Then work out how long it takes you to mix, roll, bake, decorate and package those few little cookies, and how much you'd like to get paid per hour (you do want to get paid, right?), and you'll find you should be charging more than $20.

I know what you're saying, and you're right, some people WILL throw their hands up and say "HOW MUCH??!!!" But are you really trying to make every single person in your town your customer? You will find that some people will pay you what you're worth, and there will be enough of them to make it worth your while. Don't worry about the others who won't pay. I'm finally figuring this out!!

And ignore your husband - they have no clue, because most of them are in the "HOW MUCH?" category. Also, he takes your skills for granted because you bake for him all the time. (It's only when we've been to dinner with someone else, or had a bad dinner out, that my DH will tell me what a good cook I am icon_lol.gif)

Good luck!!

cookingfor5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookingfor5 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 12:54am
post #6 of 8

Thanks for the input. I definitely know what you are saying. I don't want to make everyone happy, but I don't want to go overboard either. I completely agree with having a minimum order because I am not going to make 5 cookies everytime someone asks me for a bouquet. I had already decided to have a minimum order of 2 dozen cookies. The prices will vary depending on the design. I do intend to include only 3 colors with my set prices. Sprinkles and other embellishments are extra, as are bags. I have decided to spend 3 cents more on pink boxes because I look at it as a signature, kind of cheap advertising.

I did already work it out in my head and $20 was a jumping off point to make the minimum amount I want to make. I did add extra money for wear and tear and electricity. I added all the ingredients for a full batch of cookies. Thanks for the input again. I can see I could charge a little more.

Thanks Again!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 12:57am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by meiganlove

I have decided to spend 3 cents more on pink boxes because I look at it as a signature, kind of cheap advertising.

That is a really cute idea! thumbs_up.gif

sweetreasures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetreasures Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 1:26am
post #8 of 8

I have to agree with Indydebi re the small town mentality. I also live in a small town. Most of the people who live here moved from the big city they still work in to buy homes they couldn't afford in the city. They buy their kids cars, name brand clothes etc. I'm one of those who wouldn't pay the price for something I know I could do myself, but most people can't do it and would rather pay for it.

I think if you are confident in your pricing rather than take an apologetic stance - not that you are - people will sense the professionalism in that

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%