Need Help, Different Questions...

Decorating By Melan Updated 22 Oct 2007 , 11:26pm by Melan

Melan Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 12:57pm
post #1 of 16

Hi everyone! I just love you guys -I have learned so much! I have a few questions so I thought I'd post all in one to see if I could get the answers -thanks!

1. I am making royal icing drop flowers for the first time, do people actually eat these? I know they are going to dry hard but are they actually going to be enjoyable?

2. I'm using Wilton's BC recipe (half butter half crisco) and have used it a few times. I heard that it does NOT have to be refrigerated. Is this correct? If I crumb coat the cakes on a Thursday and then wrap them up, then friday ice and decorate, then wrap them back up, are they going to be ok at room temp for a wedding on Saturday?

3. What is the best way to wrap the top tier to be frozen(for the 1 MONTH anniversary)? Are there any instructions I should give the bride? I was going to provide her with a cake box, it's an 8 inch round.

4. Oh! And will my RI drop flowers(dark blue) bleed onto the buttercream when attached to the cake?

I think that is all for now! Thanks in advance for any help! thumbs_up.gif

15 replies
step0nmi Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 1:07pm
post #2 of 16

I can answer a couple!

You CAN eat Royal Icing drop flowers. They are like those hard candies that you can buy on the paper. they are kinda yummy. And after they dry the color will not bleed at all!

Good luck with your cake! Sorry I couldn't help more!

jibbies Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 1:09pm
post #3 of 16

Anytime I have had the RI flowers its usually children that want them, sometimes I have had adults ask too!

I crumb coat my cakes on Thursday/Friday depending on how much I have that weekend, they are fine to sit out sugar is a preservative. I'm not sure why you would wrap them I don't. I do smooth the crumb coat with a paper towel it helps make sure the final coat is smooth also

To freeze put cake in box place in freezer overnight then take out and wrap box in saran wrap and foil return to freezer and the day before its needed take out and let sit at room temp until time to eat

I haven't had a problem with bleeding, just make sure they are completely dry

Jibbies

grama_j Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 1:16pm
post #4 of 16

" 1. I am making royal icing drop flowers for the first time, do people actually eat these? I know they are going to dry hard but are they actually going to be enjoyable?
You can eat them, but as far as being "enjoyable", think of the hard little decorations you buy in the grocery store to put on kid's cakes....

2. I'm using Wilton's BC recipe (half butter half crisco) and have used it a few times. I heard that it does NOT have to be refrigerated. Is this correct? If I crumb coat the cakes on a Thursday and then wrap them up, then friday ice and decorate, then wrap them back up, are they going to be ok at room temp for a wedding on Saturday?
You lost me here.... you are planning on wrapping up a fully decorated cake ?..... DON'T do it !

3. What is the best way to wrap the top tier to be frozen(for the 1 MONTH anniversary)? Are there any instructions I should give the bride? I was going to provide her with a cake box, it's an 8 inch round.
Do you mean the one YEAR anniversary ? I put it into the box, wrap the box in plastic wrap,( a couple of layers) then wrap the entire thing in foil, then put it into the freezer

4. Oh! And will my RI drop flowers(dark blue) bleed onto the buttercream when attached to the cake?
Once they are dried, you shouldn't have a problem...

Melan Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 1:28pm
post #5 of 16

I put my cakes in boxes and then wrap the boxes in saran wrap. I have two little boys and I don't want to take a chance of something landing into the boxes! the boxes I use are open on the top, the cakes sit right down into them then I cover the boxes w/ saran wrap. It just ensures that the boys don't stick their fingers in them or one of their balls doesn't land right on top!

Actually, they are saving the cake for just the 1 month anniversary. They aren't too keen on the 1 year idea, can't say that I blame them though. My last bride asked if she would be able to order a top tier replica for their 1st anniversary, which is a good alternative I think.

Thanks for all the help! You guys are quick! icon_wink.gif

pastryjen Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:54pm
post #6 of 16

I crumb coat my cake and then freeze until ready to decorate...I ice it flat (usually white) and I find it easier to do while it is frozen. If you are putting bright/dark colours as accents on the cake, like borders or writing, you might want to let the cake thaw before putting on these accents to prevent bleeding.

Like the others said, the wilton BC does not need to be refridgerated.

Good luck with the cake.

woodthi32 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:10pm
post #7 of 16

There is no need to wrap tiers after they are decoratedicon_smile.gif Please don't, you may find yourself in quite a pickle.

Melan Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:16pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodthi32

There is no need to wrap tiers after they are decoratedicon_smile.gif Please don't, you may find yourself in quite a pickle.

So, I am confused. I don't wrap them where there is anything touching the cakes, I wrap the boxes I stick them in, so the cakes are still free standing, just protected from any elements that could get on the cake, my boys, dust, a number of things that could touch them(even a fly landing on them or something -who knows?!) Is there any reason NOT to do it this way or were you referring to me wrapping the cakes w/ the wrapping actually touching the cakes? I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything important ya know! Thanks!

grama_j Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:19pm
post #9 of 16

We just didn't want you "touching" the cakes after they are finished..... actually, if that is all you want, you don't need to wrap them..... just put them in the box for "safety"....

jibbies Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:20pm
post #10 of 16

I think from the way your original post was worded, we, including me. got out of it that you wrap the cake.

Jibbies

pastryjen Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:21pm
post #11 of 16

To protect cakes from the elements/children/flies etc...put them in a cake box and as out of the way as possible. My kids know the dining room table is out of bounds for them and only quiet activities take place in the adjoining living room. Careful about storing it on top of the fridge as it gets hot, as well as on the counter on top of the dishwasher as the heat and moisture can destroy cakes!

Melan Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:25pm
post #12 of 16

Ok, yeah, I just am trying to protect them and the only place I can store them is in the kitchen and it gets used a lot, so it's not like I can just shut off that room, but I do keep the kids out with the use of a baby gate -my boys are 3 and 5 and I still can't get through a day without that gate! It is open to the living room so toy tend to "fly" into the kitchen! Thanks everyone for you help!

woodthi32 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:27pm
post #13 of 16

Oh, I was speaking of the cakes being wrapped directly.
but, I don't know, hon, seems to me, you are taking more chances than you need to be putting them in boxes AND wrapping them back up just the day before. It's just a FEW more chances to bump that buttercream or whatever can happen, because you keep moving them around and going in and out of packaging. I have never heard of it, but my experience is certainly limited!! If you feel more comfortable doing that, by all means, you should. I just think you are taking extra chances to keep things from happening that just would NEVER happen, or if they did (a speck of dust) just wouldn't be that badicon_smile.gif
That said, I have crumb coated, refrigerated to harden and THEN wrapped if I am days ahead of time.........
I am open to infor here though, what do all of y'all think??

Melan Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 11:06pm
post #14 of 16

So if I just put the cakes in the cake boxes after they are decorated then they will stay fresh until the next day? Sorry for all the confusion -I'm still learning! icon_redface.gif

pastryjen Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 11:10pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melan

So if I just put the cakes in the cake boxes after they are decorated then they will stay fresh until the next day? Sorry for all the confusion -I'm still learning! icon_redface.gif

All that fat and sugar in the BC icing will keep your cake fresh. Mine actually tastes way better the next day.

Melan Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 11:26pm
post #16 of 16

great! thanks a bunch! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%