Need Help, Different Questions...

Decorating By Melan Updated 22 Oct 2007 , 2:49pm by DianeLM

Melan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melan Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 12:56pm
post #1 of 2

Hi everyone! I just love you guys -I have learned so much! I have a few questions so I thought I'd post all in one to see if I could get the answers -thanks!

1. I am making royal icing drop flowers for the first time, do people actually eat these? I know they are going to dry hard but are they actually going to be enjoyable?

2. I'm using Wilton's BC recipe (half butter half crisco) and have used it a few times. I heard that it does NOT have to be refrigerated. Is this correct? If I crumb coat the cakes on a Thursday and then wrap them up, then friday ice and decorate, then wrap them back up, are they going to be ok at room temp for a wedding on Saturday?

3. What is the best way to wrap the top tier to be frozen(for the 1 MONTH anniversary)? Are there any instructions I should give the bride? I was going to provide her with a cake box, it's an 8 inch round.

4. Oh! And will my RI drop flowers(dark blue) bleed onto the buttercream when attached to the cake?

I think that is all for now! Thanks in advance for any help! thumbs_up.gif

1 reply
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:49pm
post #2 of 2

Hi there! I'll try to answer some of your questions.

1. People can eat the royal flowers, but most don't. Add a little clear vanilla to your royal, as part of the liquid, to add flavor. They're like little crunchy candies. More kids eat them than adults, in my experience.

2. It's true that you don't have to refrigerate cakes iced with that buttercream. (of course, if your filling needs refrigeration....) However, if it's warm in your house, a little chilling couldn't hurt. When you wrap your cakes after crumbcoating, do it loosely. An airtight seal can cause your cakes to get too moist, tempting the crumb coat to slide off. You do not need to wrap the cakes once they are iced and decorated. Just box them up.

3. If you're only freezing the cake for a month, just leave it in the box and wrap the box in several layers of plastic wrap. Keep the box wrapped until completely thawed. That way, any condensation will form on the top of the plastic wrap and not on the cake.

4. If your flowers are good and dry, the color should not bleed onto the cake. For extra peace of mind, attach them with a dot of royal icing. That will slow down any potential bleeding.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%