Americolor? - Allergy?

Decorating By marknrox Updated 22 Oct 2007 , 5:27pm by marknrox

marknrox Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:09am
post #1 of 3

Has anyone ever had any kind of allergic reaction to any of the Americolor products? I mixed up some Super Black gel with some fondant with my bare hands and have been having horrible problems with my palms itching really, really bad. Nothing I've tried has stopped the itching. I have gone through everything I can think of that came into contact with my palms and it didn't start until I mixed up the fondant with the black gel (it was actually the next morning when I noticed the itching). I had used some other colors (pink, green, blue, burgundy, and yellow) previously during the week and had no problems.

Just curious if anyone else has had a problem like this. I'm going crazy trying to figure it out. icon_sad.gif

2 replies
CShields Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:48am
post #2 of 3

I have been breaking out real bad on my hands, also, lately. Since I've been working with a lot of gumpaste and fondant, I thought that the itching palms and sores on my palms were from the sugar and oil/fats that are in these subjects; however, I do use quite a bit of Americolor food coloring in the gumpaste/fondant. I have found that by putting on latex gloves whenever I need to touch the sugar substances or work with color that my hands don't break out.
At first the gloves were a pain in the neck to have to put on, but eventually I have gotten used to them. It just feels so good now not to be bothered with the eczema or rash on my hands.

marknrox Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 5:27pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks! I thought maybe it was just me. I'm allergic to everything. Maybe I can find some non-latex gloves that will work. I'm allergic to latex too.

Anyone else? Is there any remedies?

Quote by @%username% on %date%