Decorating Dummy

Decorating By woodthi32 Updated 23 Oct 2007 , 3:08am by AmberA

woodthi32 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 1:32am
post #1 of 19

Hi! This dummy can't figure out how to decorate the cake dummy with buttercream (or RI). if I apply pressure to the sides at all, it slides because it is so light. I can't work with it.... Any tips??

18 replies
PatricesPieces Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 1:39am
post #2 of 19

Attach it to a cake board with royal icing. This should stop it from sliding and give it more weight to hold it down. HTH

Patrice

Tona Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 1:39am
post #3 of 19

You need to glue it to the cake board with either royal or buttercream icing before you start working with it.

indydebi Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 1:40am
post #4 of 19

double sided tape (or looped over tape) to tape it to your turntable or non-skid matting under it.

coffeechick Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 1:54am
post #5 of 19

I do a lot of dummy cakes and I do the royal icing method with the cake board. I also like to take a skinny dowel rod and place it in the center of the dummy and hold it while I ice it with the other hand. Hope this helps.

SazzyG Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:01am
post #6 of 19

Where's the best place to buy cake dummies???????????? thanx

SazzyG Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:01am
post #7 of 19

Where's the best place to buy cake dummies???????????? thanx

woodthi32 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:30am
post #8 of 19

I have tried royal icing and it still slides! I will try doublesided carpet tape!

indydebi Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:38am
post #9 of 19

www.dallas-foam.com

Chef_Rinny Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:39am
post #10 of 19

I use the icing under it and put a weight on top of it while I ice the sides.

SazzyG Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:52am
post #11 of 19

Thanx indydebi will take a look. Is their shipping expensive? I want to practice wedding cake decorating b4 I dish one up!!!!!!!!!!!

SazzyG Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:53am
post #12 of 19

Thanx indydebi will take a look. Is their shipping expensive? I want to practice wedding cake decorating b4 I dish one up!!!!!!!!!!!

indydebi Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:59am
post #13 of 19

If you order one piece, the shipping can seem expensive, but the more you order, the shipping is better.

Remember when you are ordering lightweight items, like styrofoam, you are paying more for the space it takes up in the truck rather than the standard method of paying according to the weight of the item.

But they get A+++ for customer service! They are the best!! I had a problem with an order and the ONE Piece in the order that I needed for a Saturday wedding was missing. I called and I offered to pay the difference between ground and overnight because I needed it right away. They overnighted the one piece and picked up the total cost for the freight.

When I called to report the missing piece, she said, "Is this Debi?" I hadn't given her my name or anything yet so she wasn't getting it from a screen so I asked her "How did you know?" She said, "Oh I remember talking to you the other day when you ordered."

OK... THAT impressed me!

SazzyG Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:05am
post #14 of 19

Wow! That's great. Will definitely order from them. Am just going to look on Oasis for the sps system too as it sounds like something I shouldn't be without.
Thanx for sharing your knowledge.

woodthi32 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 11:05am
post #15 of 19

Thank you all for all of your tips! And, Debi, thx for the link.I don't thinkI have ever seen dummies so inexpensive!!

anoldhippy Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 10:18pm
post #16 of 19

another question about cake dummies. I got some from Dallas Foam and also save-on-crafts.com for the completely round ball I used for my pumpkin. They were very nice and even cut the bottom flat for me at no extra charge. My question is...since I used all royal icing will it chip off or should I submerse the whole thing to wash the icing off? I want to now make a Christmas ornament in preparation for next years county fair. Thank you

indydebi Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 10:17pm
post #17 of 19

I apply my BC directly to the dummy. When I'm ready to change (months and months later), I get my spatula under the layer of icing and run the spatula around the dummy .... the hardened icing pops right off and I'm ready to go for the next design.

Elserj Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 10:32pm
post #18 of 19

When I ordered from Dallas Foam early this year, they told me I had to have a $10 minimum order. Fine by me, I just have some exra dummies for later.

AmberA Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 3:08am
post #19 of 19

I got my dummies from Taylor Foam. They are very reasonable, and great to do buisness with. They happen to be local for me so I met them personally. I recommend them 100%!!! They also do custom items so if you need something that is not listed on their website just ask they are very accommodating. They also make stadiums that can be used for sheet cakes, like the ones seen on Ace Of Cakes!!!!! Perfect for cakes for men. Here is a link http://www.taylorfoam.com/taylorfoam_com/door/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%