Gold Colored Icing???

Decorating By sara28 Updated 22 Oct 2007 , 4:31pm by Lidunka25

sara28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sara28 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 12:41am
post #1 of 11

I am doing a 50th anniversay cake and saw a pic where the icing was colored gold. Does anyoneknow how to achieve this color. I wanted to do it a lil different than the traditional what cake with the gold accents. Thank you for any help!!

10 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 1:11am
post #2 of 11

You can check my photos for a 50th birthday cake I did in which I painted portions of it with 24k ground gold mixed with vodka. There's also a wedding cake in my gallery in which I painted the scrollwork with the same mixture. Is this what you're talking about?

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 1:37am
post #3 of 11

americolor has a beautiful gold color that is all i use now for my golden anniversary cakes etc there are sites that tell you what to mix to make all colors i have them too

MimiFord Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFord Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 1:46am
post #4 of 11

I used the Americolor gold on a birthday cake last week - it was a simple 1/4 sheet cake, but it seemed to take a lot of gel for me to get even remotely close to the color I wanted - was wondering if next time if there is another color to add to the gold to get the deeper color I was looking for. TIA

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:49am
post #5 of 11

I am new and having the worst time trying to get my colors to mix correctly... The "3 parts so and so, and 1 part so and so" seems simple, but with the gel coloring somehow it doesn't seem to be working very well for me...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:04am
post #6 of 11

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=581763

Here's a 50th anniversary cake I did. I mixed gold luster dust with vodka and added that to the BC to color it, plus some Amerigold #135. I impressed myself with how good it turned out! icon_lol.gif

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:04am
post #7 of 11

I checked americolor website and couldn't find The Gold color....IS it actually called gold ?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:07am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed

I checked website and couldn't find The Gold color....IS it actually called gold ?

Yes. The label says "Gold" and it has a number assigned of 135. I checked their website once and didn't find it so I thought it was discontinued or something, but I can get it from my local cake supply store. (The woman who runs this shop is incredible! She has EVERYTHING in this store! If it's not in stock, she can get it for me!)

Lidunka25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFord Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFord Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:19pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:

Your cake is beautiful BTW, and the gold is perfect!!

I looked on the eBay store you provided the link for. The glaze is food grade edible, so could it also be added along with the gel paste to BC?

Thanks.

Lidunka25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lidunka25 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 4:31pm
post #11 of 11

I have no idea. This color is like glaze, inside the box is liquid color which u pait on. What I would do is draw your ornaments or writing with candywriter and after paint it on gold. This recomended me store worker where i bought this glaze.
And thank u for liking the cake icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%