Filling/cake Combinations ???

Decorating By DeKoekjesfee Updated 22 Oct 2007 , 7:09pm by missmeg

DeKoekjesfee Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 7:31pm
post #1 of 24

Who has some pretty standard (i want to have six to start) fillin-cake combinations for weddingcakes. And it must be able to be out of the fridge.
There is so much, I get lost !

Thank you !

23 replies
purplebutterfly1234 Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 24

I had asked , but no one answers this one,
so....I'll be watching too! thumbs_up.gif

nikki1201 Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 11:10pm
post #3 of 24

Haven't done wedding cakes, but regardless these are my favorit combinations:

Dark Chocolate Cake (recipe on here) with banana buttercream (any bc recipe, with a few drops banana flavoring/oil)

white cake with pkg of cheesecake flavored pudding mix, and raspberry filling

spice cake with lemon creamcheese filling (just a few tsp of lemon juice in the cream cheese filling)

chocolate chip WASC cake with white chocolate BC

... i'll have to come back and add more as i remember them!

allie73 Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 11:54pm
post #4 of 24

I was never big on boxed mixes until I tried the WASC cake and now I can't get enough.

The WASC orange variation is wonderful filled with whipped choc. ganache and it can be out of the fridge for a good while.

The regular WASC is excellent filled with strawberry cream cheese filling, also ok to be out for a bit.

WASC w/ lemon curd filling would be excellent, and I made a blackberry curd last year that would also be wonderful IF the seeds were strained out (recipe didn't say to do it, I wish I had listened to my gut and done it).

Hope this helps!

lvablkmn Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 1:34am
post #5 of 24

A favorite that I make is a white or yellow cake with strawberry preserves. Or you could use any kind of preserves that you would like. But I've found that the preservs are a good filling!! Good luck!!!

mommarivera Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 1:41am
post #6 of 24

i will have to watch this one too!!

jmt1714 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 1:44am
post #7 of 24

(isn't it more about the fillings and flavors the customer wants? just curious.)

Biya Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 1:45am
post #8 of 24

I think its mostly a matter of personal preference, two of my favorites are chocolate cake with hazelnut bc and red velvet with almond bc.

woodthi32 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 1:46am
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki1201

Dark Chocolate Cake (recipe on here) with banana buttercream (any bc recipe, with a few drops banana flavoring/oil)

spice cake with lemon creamcheese filling (just a few tsp of lemon juice in the cream cheese filling)

What's WASC cake?

koalabear Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 1:50am
post #10 of 24
summerolivia Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 1:54am
post #11 of 24

Oh my goodness!! I am so hungry now after reading this post! Thanks for asking the original question. I have been wanting some new, creative combos myself.

woodthi32 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:05am
post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki1201

What's WASC cake?

sportsmom005 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:09am
post #13 of 24

It's White Almond Sour Cream cake. icon_smile.gif

jibbies Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:09am
post #14 of 24

White Almond Sour Cream cake=WASC
The recipes are in the recipe section

Jibbies

Sweetcakes23 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:33am
post #15 of 24

I SO GLAD to see this topic on here tonight! That's exactly what I was looking for! I need some help people! I have a VERY good friend who has ordered a baby shower cake and I DO feel it's about what the customer orders....however, I am afraid no one is going to like this cake! She want's a two tier fondant covered cake with simple, cute trim but she want's mocha color with cream trim. (It's actually a pretty design, but no color for a baby shower.)
And THEN she wants chocolate cake with LEMON filling??? All while I was in baking and pastry school, we were told to be aware of pairing flavors that complement one another. I just don't feel those do! I'm afraid everyones going to think this is a "boring" looking cake (for a baby shower) and tastes like crap to boot! Please tell me someone has tried that combination and it was good??? icon_cry.gif

ckkerber Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:34am
post #16 of 24

I, too, don't do wedding cakes but some of my favorite combos are:

WBH (Whimsical Bakehouse) Freckled Mocha cake with Bailey's Irish Cream Mousse (uses a whipped cream base but I've also added Bailey's to regular buttercream and it's still yummy)

Banana cake with toffee cream mousse

Vanilla Chai cake with vanilla bean buttercream

Belovedeve Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:27am
post #17 of 24

I have a question...since we are talking about cake combos...my husband loves banana pudding and that Hershy's chocolate cake...I was trying that think of a way to comdine the 2..any suggestions?

Sweetcakes23 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:36am
post #18 of 24

What about just lightening the pudding some by folding it into some whipped cream and using it as the filling? Make sure to use an icing dam to keep it from oozing out though! Sounds yummy!

kakeladi Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 4:03am
post #19 of 24

Hey folks. when a customer askes for a flavor combination that you have never heard of or thought wouldn't be good together why ? it?
It's their taste buds and who's to say NO.
Choco cake w/lemon fill isn't all that badicon_smile.gif Neither is choco w/strawberry or banana fill.
Have you tried checking out the many cake related sites to see what they offer? It can be very interesting.

tonedna Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 4:31am
post #20 of 24

chocolate with rasberry is really good...and also chocolate with caramel and walnuts...my favorite still is peanut butter ...mmmmmmmmm!

Sweetcakes23 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:39pm
post #21 of 24

Kakeladi, I'm glad to hear you say you've tried that combo! I will do what she asked, I'm just worried.
I totally agree if it's for a persons birthday, its their personal taste, give em what THEY want! I guess I was just feeling somewhat like: For a shower, did I have a responsibility to try and persuade her towards a different filling so she isn't receiving bad reviews on the cake? or no one eats it, and then, will she think I baked her a bad cake? When in reality it will be because the two tastes "fought" each other? I'm just worried because I know she was going to have me do a future anniversary cake for her parents, and these will be the same people at the shower (her family,) so if they hate this cake, she probably won't want to have me do that cake....but, I will feel it will be because this combo wasn't good.

aswartzw Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 4:25pm
post #22 of 24

Chocolate and lemon? What's so wrong with that? It's just like orange and chocolate. It's a delightful surprise and I feel is more of a treat than the typical fillings.

I've had Stover's candies before with lemon creme and it's to die for.

Sweetcakes23 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 5:00pm
post #23 of 24

THANK YOU aswartzw....I've never tried it, and was worried it would be bad. Seemed strange to me. But, I am smart enough to know that everyone feels differently about tastes, that's why I got online to ask! Ha!
I will relax and hope it goes over well!
I remember when they introduced the hot spices with chocolate in truffles, i thought "how awful!" And when I tried it, I fell in love!

missmeg Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 7:09pm
post #24 of 24

Here's some of the flavor combos I have listed on my website:

Bittersweet Choc cake w/ fresh whipped cream filling

White Choc cake w/ Raspberry filling

Chai Tea cake w/ Cinnamon-Hazelnut filling

Caramel cake w/ Choc ganache

I also have the following fillings that work well in either white / choc cake:

Choc-Strawberry Ganache
Choc-Raspberry Ganache
Choc-Orange Ganache

Quote by @%username% on %date%