Help!!!

Baking By ricciboys Updated 23 Oct 2007 , 12:32pm by linedancer

ricciboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ricciboys Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 5:57pm
post #1 of 11

Can anyone tell me, I just made a batch of 55 NFSC for a baby shower which will be held in one(1) week's time.

Can I ice them and package them and place them in the freezer? icon_confused.gif

I'm short on time the day be4 is my son's 4th birthday party and he has asked me for a Super Hero cake, which will take me sometime to make!!! icon_cry.gif

Also, which is the best icing to use in this case??(for the cookies)

Thanks for your help!!

10 replies
jadak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jadak Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 6:15pm
post #2 of 11

I am not completely sure. I have never frozen cookies. I do think I have read on here where people have frozen them, but BEFORE they're iced. I don't know if the thawing process would ruin the icing. Hopefully someone with more knowledge about this will respond. icon_smile.gif

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 6:23pm
post #3 of 11

Hopefully MKrilla or Photomommie or one of the other cookie people on here can answer your question. I know that NFSC and Antionnio74 RI has been a hit on this site.

I myself have baked, frosted, and frozen cookies on my own with huge success. I've flash-frozen layers on a cookie sheet to set the icing. Then I've layered the cookies in a "tupperware" brand-only container, putting wax paper in-between each layer and making sure the cookies didn't touch each other. I've only done 3 layers this way and the cookies were large, thick cookies.

When thawed, I thawed them in the fridge over night and then took them out in the a.m.

I have never sold cookies, so don't know if this same method will work.

check the cookie gallery and see if you can find a tip there. Also, a thread was on here somewhere about freezing ahead for cookie orders.

HTH! thumbs_up.gif And if it didn't then here's the bump you need!!

ricciboys Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 6:25pm
post #4 of 11

Thnks for your input jadak!! I was thinking the samething...But if I don't freeze them or get them out of the house my boys (including husband) will end up eating them!!!

I wanted to surprise the expecting mom on the day of the shower with the cookies.!

ricciboys Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 6:52pm
post #5 of 11

thanks GI...I'll look at threads...

kwdonlon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kwdonlon Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 6:59pm
post #6 of 11

Don't freeze them. The icing probably won't hold up when you defrost them. Either put them in a tightly sealed container now and then package them at the end of the week, or package them and then put them in a sealed container. The cookies will still taste perfect in a week without freezing or refrigeration. Antonia74's Royal Icing will work great, especially since there's not any dairy in it.

paintinggrams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paintinggrams Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 7:20pm
post #7 of 11

I freeze mine all the time especially the ones I keep around the house or I would spend the day eating them lol. This way I take one out a day as my sweets reward, or I take a few out when I know the grandkids are coming etc I freeze them in a ziploc freezer container and they seem to be fine and they have stayed frozen for as much as three weeks only because that's the longest they lasted in my freezer before being used.

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:47pm
post #8 of 11

I have done this before with great success.
I use NFSC /Antonia's Icing.

I have decorated Halloween cookies in my freezer right now for a party I am going to Saturday. They have been in there for about 3 weeks.

I have them bagged individually(I use my foodsaver to seal my cello bags) I have them stacked very carefully in a large rubbermaid square food container on a seperate shelf with a verbal warning to DH to not put anything on top of them. I will take them out and just forget about them on either Thursday night or Friday. They will be good to go for Saturday.

I let them defrost naturally and slowly and have never had a problem.

Just make sure they are totally dry when you bag them.

coffeecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coffeecake Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:53pm
post #9 of 11

If the event is only a week away, I would just place them carefully in tupperware or other airtight container - they should be fine. Why take the chance of moisture on the icing. When I bake them around the holiday, people still rave when they are 3-4 weeks old.

JenWith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWith Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:15pm
post #10 of 11

I'm going to agree with those that have decorated and frozen the finished cookies. I have done this a couple of times myself with success. Just made sure the cookies are packaged as air-tight as you can get them and defrost them in the same packaging (don't open it!). Once the cookies are defrosted, you can remove them from the packaging and you'll be good to go!

HTH and post pictures!

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 12:32pm
post #11 of 11

I do the same as cookiemookie, only I use MMF as the icing. Have frozen completed and bagged cookies many times with no problem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%